1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level English Language - which board?

Discussion in 'English' started by tb9605, Dec 10, 2017.

1. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Hi all

I want to offer English Language A level in our department next year (we're an International school) and I'm after some advice. so if you have the time to answer any of these questions I'd be very grateful:

Which board do you teach for A level English Language?
    How do you like it?
    What made you chose it?
    (If you didn't chose it, would you have rather chosen another?)

Thanks in advance!

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

OCR is fantastic. The kids get to learn all about speech, which always goes down well as it's a totally new topic. They get to compare and recast texts, which builds on the Paper 2 task 1 adaptive writing component of CIE IGCSE, then in the second year they get to compare a spoken, written and multi media text in a proper extended essay, on a theme of their choice, which is brilliant. It's hard work for teachers as, unless you stipulate coursework themes, you could end up supervising comparative essays on topics as diverse as female opera singers, football, superheroes, the American Crash or The Notting Hill carnival, but it's fun to supervise and rewarding for them. You will need to gen up on the theoretical topics but people like me and lots of other TESSERs are flogging their resources on TES now, and I can recommend good books.