1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Edexcel Unit 5 - Pop Song

Discussion in 'Music' started by wotthedickens, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am currently teaching the pop ballad compositional technique for the first time. Does anyone know of any good resources to use, or where I can even find a mark scheme? I am currently just teaching from the Benham Harmony Workbook but It seems quite general, and I am struggling to tell if my year 13s are doing it right or not!
    Thanks for any help you could give me much appreciated!
    x

2. Hi,
    I am currently teaching the pop ballad compositional technique for the first time. Does anyone know of any good resources to use, or where I can even find a mark scheme? I am currently just teaching from the Benham Harmony Workbook but It seems quite general, and I am struggling to tell if my year 13s are doing it right or not!
    Thanks for any help you could give me much appreciated!
    x

3. Have you joined the Edexcel A Level Music working group on Facebook?

4. Hi,

I am now in the same position as you - I was wondering if you did find any resources for teaching this part of the course, I cant find anything! I am trying to generate my own resources, but have no real idea if I am hitting the correct standard, or actually what to ask the students to do to get a good mark.

x

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Have you got this http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/0703923/details.html book? Useful exercises for all sorts of composition tasks, including song-writing.

6. Just for the record - i do NOT like this task. In order to reach the required complexity for A Level they stray very far from the stylistic norms of any pop ballad I've ever heard - which makes it very hard to understand what is going on. You do need to know the formula that they are working to.

7. Roando

Roando New commenter

lol...couldn't agree more! I thought I'd heard a fair selection of 'pop' songs / ballads, whatever to complete the previous Techniques papers without too much effort - but some the bizarre harmonic progressions and rhythms, even the basic melodic shapes...well, it ain't Abba!