1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Early Entry - please help

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by AilsaMcC, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have a Year 8 pupil who is going to do early entry AS and A Level Spanish. She is very high ability as well as mature and a native speaker and last year passed her GCSE (Year 7) with an A*. However, I have never taught A Level and as she is part of a class who are doing all beginners Spanish I am not sure how I should be preparing her. Has anyone got any advice, resources, ANYTHING to help me out - I have no doubt she could pass with flying colours but I am just not sure how to support/guide/teach etc.....

THANK YOU

2. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Personally, I think she is too young to be entered for A-Level. We enter native speakers early for GCSE but A-Level (especially A2) requires a wider knowledge of the world and of the cultural topics. At A2 pupils are expected to debate the pros and cons of community service as opposed to prison sentences, for example (with AQA) and that could well be beyond even a mature Y8 pupil. Many of the essay marks are for essay technique and this again is something which a certain level of maturity will make more accessible.
    I'd suggest she has a couple of years of extension work (grammar, reading and writing for pleasure) before tackling A-Level, especially if you are not being given any extra time off-timetable to prepare her individually. Sorry to be so negative!

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I agree entirely with FrauSue. A level is deliberately set a standard to challenge the maturity of a 17 year old and then an 18 year old. Being very able, even bilingual, is not enough.
    I once had to deal with a year 10 pupil whose mother is German. The student pestered for an exam paper to show what she could do to do A level early. I finally gave in and gave her the exam paper she craved. She never handed it in. When she finally did A level at the age of 18, she got a grade C.