1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level contact time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TaranDannyn, Nov 25, 2016.

1. TaranDannyn

TaranDannyn New commenter

I'm a new HOD and will be making a case soon regarding staffing, A level and other courses being offered to pupils and the timetabled contact time with A level students. At the moment I have 7.5 hrs per fortnight with Year 13 to teach A2 maths. How does this compare to other schools as I think it is on the light side. I will be asking for 9 hrs minimum with more if they want to develop Further Maths. Am I pushing my luck?

2. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

We used to have 9 a fortnight, but this year it had been reduced to 8. No harm in asking! I guess the bigger issue is that schools are looking at ways to reduce costs, not increase them- that's why our 6th form hrs got reduced. I'm hoy 12 and the maths students doing further maths have to take it across 2 option blocks, so they do get more lessons.

TaranDannyn likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What do other subjects get? Most schools give the same amount to each subject, sometimes a little less if there is a very small group.

4. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Nine hours per fortnight in Y12 and 13.

install and TaranDannyn like this.
  5. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

We get 10 hours per fortnight (as six 50-minute lessons a week), typically split 50:50 between two teachers. This applies to all sixth form subjects (except EPQ and GCSE resits).

TaranDannyn likes this.
  6. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Every 6th form subject gets 9 hrs per fortnight with us. This is split 5:4 between 2 teachers in most cases (although some subjects are all one teacher).

As far as I know, Further Maths is offered as a separate option block.

7. kenickie

kenickie New commenter

10 hrs a fortnight in year 12.

9 hrs a fortnight in year 13.

Or the other way round depending on the departments decision on where they want the extra hour.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Likewise here

TaranDannyn likes this.
  9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We get 5 hours a week in year 12 and in year 13.

10. TaranDannyn

Thank you all for your feedback

11. Rozario123

Rozario123 New commenter

In the previous place I taught it was 3hours 45 mins per week (they had to make cuts) however they found that this wasn't enough time, (bad A level results), so this year its was back to its original 4.5 hours per week. Hopefully the results will be better.

TaranDannyn likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

We get 5 hrs per week for A Level all subjects

TaranDannyn likes this.
  13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Ditto 5 hours a week. You need to accurately calculate the teaching hours you have over two years, removing time for sports day, Bank holidays, staff training, Christmas week, illness etc then see if you have 360 hours of teaching time. If you haven't got this number, there is your case for more hours.

TaranDannyn likes this.
  14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

(Note to self: when looking at post-16 options for own child, check out the teaching time...)

Piranha likes this.
  15. RoseLN

RoseLN New commenter

10 hours over two weeks in years 13 and 12.
    I'm history though so I teach 5 hours and my colleague who I share my class with teaches the other five but we teach different courses.

TaranDannyn likes this.
  16. TaranDannyn

Thanks for this, useful information, think that my department might fall short of 360 hours