1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Computing taster session ideas

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictLad, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Afternoon all,
    I am going to be running an A Level taster session within the next few weeks to try to push to subject. I only have approximately half an hour and need to do something relatively easy for those pupils who have no idea about programming languages. Problem is every idea I come up with would take ages to do.
    Does anyone have any simple(ish) ideas which might work?
    Thanks in advance

2. We have used a variety of different programming tasks using Delphi - the language we teach. In recent years these have included:
    a simple car racing program - 2 cars/images moving across the screen until one reaches the finish line - we used timer events and random numbers to move the cars.
    a very simple drawing program - allows the user to select pen width and colour and use the mouse to draw on a palette,
    one controlling the movement of shapes across the screen - uses buttons to move the shape up, down, left and right, etc.
    We too only have 30 minute sessions so the first two tasks required the students to complete programs that had been partially written for them. The last can be done from scratch. For all 3 tasks we used worksheets that guided the students through them but each of them had a little bit at the end that the students had to try to work out by themselves.
    We have got largely positive feedback from the students so they seem to work.
    Hope this helps - good luck.
    PS We have also used Scratch but for year 9 taster sessions rather than year 11. We are considering using Greenfoot for our year 9 sessions next year.

3. tardis

tardis New commenter

hi

is it possible to put up a link of your guides for the racing program? thanks