1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Business - Thematic or Linear?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by JAsphs, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JAsphs

JAsphs New commenter

Hi, we have just finished teaching the first year of Edexcel A Level Business using the thematic approach but I am not sure this has worked well with our students. Has anyone used the linear approach and do you think it has worked well or not? We are trying to decide the best approach to take in September with our new Yr12s. We do not offer the AS only the A level Business.
    Thank you

2. irishboy83

irishboy83 New commenter

As someone who is just starting teaching A level business do you have any pointers for good resources as I am trying to build up my own?

3. JAsphs

JAsphs New commenter

Hi
    Revisionstation.co.uk has a lot of free resources but we also purchased the powerpoints for each of the 4 themes. They cost £30 each but are worth it for the amount of time saved in planning. We also use a lot of tutor2u resources which are usually reasonably priced. I hope this helps.

4. irishboy83

irishboy83 New commenter

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Hi,

I too have used the thematic approach and it has worked well since I have a small class and it keeps me on my toes as it is a different approach to content. Like me if you wanted to change with your current group it would be practically impossible to track the work already covered so guess you are considering a change for your new year 12's?

NAB

6. JAsphs

JAsphs New commenter

We are considering it for our new Yr12s, however, I think it will make it difficult for them to match up with the text books as they are all set out under the 4 themes.
    We will probably stick with the thematic approach and in Yr13 try and pull the themes together as we teach.
    Thanks for your comments, I will sign up to the facebook page as any sharing helps.

7. danlee

danlee New commenter

Hi,
    I'm not sure I understand the question. All A-levels are linear now anyway.

By 'thematic', I assume you are giving the pupils a business scenario and then all the skills and processes are based around that scenario. Is that correct? I don't have experience of Edexcel but AQA and WJEC want students to have an understanding of a broad range of business contexts therefore, this approach would limit that.
    Dan

8. needabreak

Some exam boards like Edexcel have suggested two different programmes of learning one follows the spec in a linear fashion the other follows in a thematic fashion, they suggest that it depends on things like number of teachers delivering the material.

As an experienced teacher I felt it more interesting to use the thematic format although it is more complicated and may be difficult for others to pick up on as it jumps around a bit, although it is just me delivering all themes over the two years in this case so is not really a problem. If I had to hand over I would tell the next teacher which format I was following and where I got up to so they could continue from there so as not to miss any sections.

9. danlee

danlee New commenter

Oh right I see. So by thematic, you mean split it into units that are delivered concurrently? If so, then yes we do thematic. However, not sure the name reflects what it actually is.
    Dan

10. needabreak

True perhaps as it is appears here, although technically it is a suggested scheme of work with a thematic approach.