1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Biology

Discussion in 'Science' started by dritchie75, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Any ideas which exam board I should use for A Level Biology - AQA or OCR? I'm starting teaching it in September & would value a few experienced opinions.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've taught both and both are good. My personal preference is AQA, but then I also prefer AQA for GCSE so it's really just a personal thing.
    I suggest you take a look at both specifications, past papers and ISA materials to get a feel of what you'd be most comfortable with. You shoould be able to get all this information from the websites of the exam boards.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I do OCR and I like the course. The coursework (practical assessments similar to ISAs) can be tricky to organise (mainly as it can require slightly unusual enzymes / stains) but the theoretical units are well designed and cover a good range of biology.

4. I would suggest following on from the GCSE- eg, if they did 21st Century science GCSE get them on OCR B as the courses are linked.

5. Sorry to split the vote but I like OCR; their syllabus seems clearer and the exams appear 'fairer.'
    So why not try looking at an exam paper and comparing that with the syllabus for each?
    I don't think it will affect your results. Maybe consider the strengths of your experience or teaching team?
    Good luck.

6. Does nobody teach Edexcel?

7. I taught Salters Nuffield Edexcel but didn't much like it. Much prefer AQA

8. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

I'm teaching Edexcel for the first time (taught AQA at my last school) and not enjoying it - I think that is purely because it is different and I don't like change.