1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-level Biology Field trip?

Discussion in 'Science' started by marycanary, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi
    I was wondering whether your students attend a field-trip for A-level Biology?
    If so, could you let me know where you go, and how long you go for? It would be also good to know if it is an FSC centre, or not. Also, the exam board will be useful to know.

We go, but it is getting so costly I am wondering what other schools do, as it may end up cheaper for us.

Thanks a lot

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

We do OCR biology and go to the FSC centre at Preston Montford (Shropshire). We go for four days (over a weekend) to teach the ecology part of the course and to do the two practical tasks (we do the evaluative task on return from the trip).
    The trip is pricey but the pupils get a lot out of it - a number of my Year 13 pupils who have just left asked if they could go again (jokingly) and it worked well as a team building exercise as well. We are looking at reducing the price probably by going over three days but by leaving school earlier and getting back later

3. Thanks.

Our trip (for Edexcel) the students absolutely love! But it is a long way, 7 nights, and really costly for the students.
    Not sure what the solution is, but it is good to get ideas from other schools.

Thanks again.

4. we take our Yr 12 Geographers & Yr 13 Biologists to the same FSC at Malham Tarn at the same time to share costs. We go for 4 nights and the school pays tuition fees and students the cost of travel & accommodation.
    We find it is worth every penny as the students are immersed in a subject and see it all in real life so are more interested in it. Nearly all the students come away having enjoyed plants more than they thought they would!!
    I would definitely recommend the Malham Tarn FSC.

5. Thanks for your help!

Anyone else?

6. We go fo A2 Biology to Drapers field centre(FSC) in snowdonia for four days, over a weekend. It is a really worthwhile experience but it is quite expensive. If students have enough notice you could ask for small payments each month. This centre has access to loads of different habitats and the staff are great.