1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level AQA LitB unit 3 results disappointment?

Discussion in 'English' started by Ms Chips, Aug 24, 2011.

1. I was wondering whether anyone else was disappointed with theirunit 3 results for AQA LitB (A2 level)?

Last year my centre were less than thrilled as a load of the students seemed to do relatively badly in this unit, although their overall marks were bolstered by their coursework. So my SL and I went on feedback courses etc. And I really thought my class at least had it covered - they were clear on what was expected of them. But results last week showed even less A*s than last year, primarily because of a thoroughly underwhelming set of results in the Gothic paper.
    I honestly don't know what else I could have done, and I can't blame the students either, I had some really clever kids only get an A overall with the Gothic paper averaging a C amongst them (again, coursework bolstering the mark) when I felt their work in mocks and practices was far better than that - sounds like I am ungrateful I know, but compared to other humanities subjects in the school (A*s were in double figures) we fell short.
    Some browsing of student boards show a swell of discontent with this paper, though I guess that might not be a genuine reflection of how people have done. I don't fully trust AQA, we've had some major re-marks in the past, but will take it on the chin if we're the only ones with this problem.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I haven't seen this year's paper (my school has no VI form) but I marked it till January.
    If you could post the questions your students did, I may be able to help.

3. Although we do Lit A - our unit three marks were significantly lower than expected - A students achieving a C in that unit for example.

4. I am so relieved to have seen your post, as we too have had issues this year. The results were dreadful for Unit 3 Gothic considering how thoroughly we prepared our students, using the scant exemplar responses provided by AQA- especially top end responses- and the examiner reports and example questions.

2 exceptionally bright and talented students got disappointing results and are now unable to go to university to study English.

We are giving serious thought as to leaving AQA, as over the course of several years and several schools, I have seen some alarming mistakes made, particularly at A Level when the results are of course crucial.

There must be others in the same boat as us. I intend to make a formal complaint.

5. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

If You are not happy pick your best examples (ie ones most inexplicable) and go for remarks as soon as you can. Priority remarks, anecdotally, seem to sometimes do better, but if you find that 10% of your cohort were wrongly marked you can trigger a whole-cohort re-mark this way, and then you won't have to pay for it.
    DO query the results if you think they are out of line--systems are not perfect, and AQA have had problems with this in the past. They can't make it better if you don't do anything....

6. ... and they don't make it better even if you do do something ...
    AQA, two years running, got it badly wrong and, then after it happened for the third year they refused to speak to me about all the problems and heartache they'd caused ... it's a very long story and I won't bother you will the detail but basically, they were at fault every single time and they refused to accept responsibility for their mistake.
    We moved to another exam board. They didn't seem to care what we did. They have become much too BIG for their boots.
    Exam marking is big business and my advice is that if they get it wrong take your business elsewhere - there is too much at stake for any second (or third) chances.

7. The questions my students did were all with the texts Dr Faustus, Wuthering Heights or Bloody Chamber. In the centre students also had the option of Pardoner's Tale and Dracula.
    I have tried using eAQA to analyse how they did in specific sections but loads of students are not coming up. One student got 5 out of 80 marks! And this is a girl that got 60 out of 80 for her coursework. No way did she get single figures!
    I can't work out what AQA want that our students didn't give them - we showed all our students the exemplar responses we had, both from the board (iincluding some in the pastoral paper) and from our own centre. I am fuming with AQA to be honest.
    You can find the paper on AQA website.

8. How do you plan to go about this? We have had some re-marks come back already, but those that are disappointing are annoyingly far from the grade boundaries, so re-marks are unlikely. Have you looked at eAQA to analyse how your stduents did on specific questions?

9. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Must be on eAQA and I don't have a login here.

10. My students were happy with the paper and the results of my group were at or above the grades expected of them, as a result I haven't looked any closer at the detail. Perhaps it's down to poor performance by specific markers?

11. manc

manc New commenter

Can that be true? AQA's markers are perfect ,and never make mistakes. I know this because they told me so themselves.

12. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

Indeed [​IMG]
    But very worth going for a re-mark no matter how far from grade boundaries. I have seen Ds go up to As.

13. I had the same situation, Mr Chips, and posted my thoughts on the Thursday we received our results. Our overall results for Lang/Lit (which we also teach) were not as good, but we knew they wouldn’t be, due to the students themselves, teacher assessment, ALPS, etc. Our LITB3 results were completely out of step with everything. Despite looking carefully at e-AQA, I could find little rhyme or reasons as to the results (we achieved an A-C of 24% for LITB3, down significantly from 82.5% those same students achieved for their AS exam).
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">We carefully targeted and requested 11 students to have a priority remark and with 8 marks back so far, all have gone up in terms of UMS, although somewhat insignificant amounts, in most cases, and not enough to change things massively. I find it extremely strange in the least and have written to AQA last week to voice my concerns and have requested that 10 scripts be sent back to us. After looking at the scripts, if we are still not happy we intend on requesting a whole cohort remark, and if still not happy, appealing against it. </font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font> There are a lot of &lsquo;ifs&rsquo; and &lsquo;buts&rsquo; here and hopefully things will make sense at some point but I think we will, longer term, be keeping a close eye on events in A Level. I&rsquo;ve already started asking colleagues in other schools of their experiences with other boards (a few have left AQA for OCR, apparently) with the possibility of changing boards in 2013-14. Hopefully it won&rsquo;t come to that, but all we ask is for consistency.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font>That&rsquo;s our plan for now, hope it&rsquo;s been some use!