1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level and IB pre-reading advice for student please

Discussion in 'English' started by TJAMK, May 27, 2020.

1. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Hi,
    An outgoing HL GCSE student has been offered ’A LEVEL & IB ENGLISH LITERATURE but does not need to choose yet. She wants summer reading but I am not sure what to suggest. I have not taught A level for 5 years!

Eduqas A level English literature: course code A720
    http://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualifications/english-literature/as-a-level/
    English A: literature
    English within the IB diploma programme consists of the study of literary texts, i.e. poetry, prose, drama and nonfiction.

I have seen her bridging the gap book but there are very few overlaps.

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Tabetha

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Both courses will have required reading although they are very different indeed.
    For IB, the list is long and will very much depend in the individual teacher. If she's doing literature at a higher level, the best she can do is become comfortable with unfamiliar vocabulary and contexts.
    I would recommend you help her find great works of literature she will enjoy and that is better than good enough (see attached). There are many free Coursera offerings she could take if she wishes to explore literature in a structured way.

Attached Files: