1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-level advice please!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by NQT45, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am looking for some feedback from any teachers who deliver AS/A-level Philosophy and Ethics (or any variation of Religious Studies really).
    I have looked at the OCR and WJEC specifications and wondered what the pros and cons were of each for those who teach them and accessibility for students. Any info you can give me would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
    NQT45

2. Hi all,
    I am looking for some feedback from any teachers who deliver AS/A-level Philosophy and Ethics (or any variation of Religious Studies really).
    I have looked at the OCR and WJEC specifications and wondered what the pros and cons were of each for those who teach them and accessibility for students. Any info you can give me would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
    NQT45

3. lam

lam

I haven't taught WJEC so cannot comment on that. However, I have taught OCR and EDEXCEL and would recommend EDEXCEL.

The reasons I like EDEXCEL over OCR is for the following reasons:

* I like the structure of the EDEXCEL exam paper - I like the fact that if students don't get on with the cosmological argument, they can instead do design argument and so on.

* Students like the fact that they can write off some topics they do not like - so if they don't get miracles for example, they know they can avoid it in their exams.

* I also like the fact that it takes fewer topics but gets students to really know / understand them. With OCR I always felt that I was rushing everything, and looking at it on a superficial level so that they didn't really get it as easily. Particularly when combined with the above point, that they can avoid any topic they really don't like.

* Under EDEXCEL, the marking has always been fair, and it reflects what students can do rather than jumping through the right hoops, whereas I have not found OCR to be consistent in their marking at all.

* I know a lot of teachers are put off by the synoptic exam, but actually I find its bark is far worse than its bite. When we designed our RS course, we started with the implications paper and then worked backwards. We then ensured everything was included, and so then only had to tie it all together at the end. Doing this really works and students often say it is the paper they feel most confident on (and often score the best marks). It does need a bit of prep, but once done, students find this paper quite straightforward.

HTH

4. lam

lam

Hmm, did have line breaks. Not sure what happened to them though!

5. Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I think I have a lot of research to do before the summer holidays!
    :)

6. We currently use OCR (Philosophy and Ethics papers) which has proved popular amongst our students (averaging 25 - 30 take up a year) in a very mixed comp but we are looking at moving to WJEC as they are our GCSE board and I like the look of the Contemp Society module which we would teach along with the ethics at AS adn I like the structure of the A2 papers too.
    S

7. Hi!
    My website devoted to ethics (OCR syllabus but other syllabuses are in the section on syllabuses) has had a lot of very good feedback from teachers. It takes an interactive approach. The address is:

www.philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk
    feel free to download anything - just acknowledge the source!

best wishes,
    Peter Baron