1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Accounting

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by mrtbusiness, May 18, 2011.

1. I need help...! We have to provide a "summer task" for our yr 11's coming to 6th form for September. In the past I have set a task to do with source documents etc. However this year we have been told that it cannot be a task that produces a final outcome - essay, booklet, presentation - it has to be some sort of reading that doesn't really matter if they don't do!
    Now before you all start by saying that this sounds stupid - don't even go there, I've already voiced my concerns and was told I have to provide something.
    So the problem is what do I give them to read? I cannot give them the book we issue until September - when I know exactly who I have, so I need some sort of article or introduction to Accounting - that ultimately will not get read, but that will keep SMT off my back...

2. I need help...! We have to provide a "summer task" for our yr 11's coming to 6th form for September. In the past I have set a task to do with source documents etc. However this year we have been told that it cannot be a task that produces a final outcome - essay, booklet, presentation - it has to be some sort of reading that doesn't really matter if they don't do!
    Now before you all start by saying that this sounds stupid - don't even go there, I've already voiced my concerns and was told I have to provide something.
    So the problem is what do I give them to read? I cannot give them the book we issue until September - when I know exactly who I have, so I need some sort of article or introduction to Accounting - that ultimately will not get read, but that will keep SMT off my back...

3. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

Give me your email address or email me - I have one you can use

glynmanton@ntlworld.com

4. can you set tasks that are *timed* to be released every couple of weeks over the summer e.g. look in the newspaper today and write down five financial facts, 1 point each.

Tie in with another subject they are studying e.g. Geography or Maths so that you share the ideas/setup with another teacher. Put them in teams. You could publish a 'league table' during the summer which keeps their interest..?

Add some extra bonus questions for catch-up if students haven't engaged and missed a few weeks.

(you could set the 'release dates' up in advance so there's no need for intervention by you during the summer)