1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A lesson on Perseverance - the week before Christmas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mcphie58, Dec 7, 2015.

1. mcphie58

mcphie58 New commenter

I am looking to teach a 40 minute lesson on the value of Perseverance. I would like it to be based around an activity or game that requires perseverance - if I could link it to the Christmas/winter break that would be brilliant.
    Unfortunately, at the moment I have no 'brilliant' ideas...suggestions/ideas would really be welcome. Thanks in advance

2. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Have you heard of the 'Ancient art of toothbrush twirling'?

Wet a toothbrush, wet your index finger, place the toothbrush half way up and twirl it!

A great skill for KS2 pupils. Most of all it requires perseverance. With practice you can twirl it with your strong hand, then your weak hand and finally with a toothbrush on each index finger.

I give the teacher a go first. Some manage it immediately. With others it flies off to the laughter of the children. This is perhaps better in a way. The teacher continues to practice and invariably manages after a few goes. Thus the teacher has just shown perseverance pays!

You can buy toothbrushes from the pound shop for this trick.

I use it for the circus performer badge for brownies. I spend about 20 minutes presentation and practice time.

I am sure you can make a 40 minute lesson out of it with discussion time as well.

Kevin the Clown

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Hi,

I have just started a conversation with you, Mcphie58, and given you a plan for a seasonal maths lesson which might be exactly what you're looking for...! Let me know if you don't get it.

Merry Christmas!

Grandsire