1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A lateral thinking approach to encourage healthier diets.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Think about this idea for a moment or two and consider its value.

All foodstuffs should cost exactly the same price per kilo.

When you go shopping, you mere push your trolley onto a weighbridge and it tells you how much you owe.

What might the implications of this be? Well, you'd get a lot more salad, pound for pound, than you would red meat. You'd find the cost of fizzy drinks became prohibitively expensive and you might as a bonus, be inclined to buy items with less packing if you knew that the weight of the packaging will be preventing you from having something you might enjoy instead.

There would be social advantages to such a system, because it would mean the best cuts of meat would cost the same as the cheapest mince, and allow the poorest to dine on the food that the better off can, since the food would be sold on a first come, first served basis and when the ribs of beef ran out, the wealthy would have to try mince, or get up earlier.

Another thing that would help make this system work, is to have any kids you take into the supermarket to wind even the saintliest up would need to stand on the weighbridge with the trolley. The fatter they are, the more you'll be paying for your shopping, so that will encourage you not to allow them to get obese. Or alternatively, if you thought of this as a tax on kids, you can avoid paying it by not taking the brats to the supermarket with you.

What's not to like about this?

notsonorthernlass and wanet like this.
  2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I can't see a single issue with it.

3. lilachardy

I have a similar plan for the hairdressers.
    Just weigh you before and after, and charge according to how much you've lost.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Good for meringue sales

5. Duke of York

Yet bad in comparison for packets of sugar. Meringues are 90% air, ain't they?

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But seeing how many they can get might enourage more to be eaten.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Think of all tose crisp multipacks!

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And caviar.

9. Duke of York

Indeed. Caviar helps to promote a healthy nervous, circulatory and immune system. It shouldn't only be on the menus of the wealthy.

10. lilachardy

So.... what's to encourage people to buy a pound of cabbage when they could have a pound of butter for the same price?

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

There's nowt wrong with a pound of butter.
    In fact, since it's dearer on the whole, and often harder to spread, it might cut bread consumption...

12. lilachardy

There's nowt wrong with a pound of butter, true, but there is a need for cabbage and the like.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Cabbage is better if its cooked with a bit of butter.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, with a tablespoon of water and a sprinkling of craway seeds.

Lilac, maybe I'm wrong but I think that non-cabbage eaters often don't eat butter either.

wanet likes this.
  15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Today's tubby tots would turn their noses up at cabbage on the whole. So their parents don't bother cooking it.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

errr....

Would this not cause massive shortages of food which is more expensive to prepare and produce after a while.

All you would be left with is the cheap unhealthy stuff.

FrankWolley and lanokia like this.
  17. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

The people who produce the food may think it ridiculous.

18. Duke of York

I have, inky and concluded that since the shopping is based on weight alone, it would eliminate two for one, unhealthy food options. cheap crisps would cost the same, pound for pound as healthier crisps and possibly, since there would be access for the poor to better snack options, they may well decide to go for those instead of crisps.

The net result of all of this would be that sales of unhealthy foods would probably decline, because the poor would be able to choose the better food options rather than stuck eating the likes of cheap beefburgers because that's all their current budget allows.

The wealthier wouldn't put up with it if all there was left in the shops when they got there was junk food and since they are more influential than the poor in bringing about change, supermarkets would be forced to reduce the amount of junk food products they sell.

The bottom line in this plan is to enable choice. There's nothing that will prevent unhealthy options being purchased if they really are what some people want.

I read a couple of years ago that people who live in Tower Hamlets have an average lifespan of some twenty years fewer than those who live in Richmond. If diet and the available shopping budget is partially to blame for this, then here's a plan that could change things.

You see, it's all very well having health experts tell us what we ought to be eating, but things such as salad and vegetables, fish etc. are often too expensive for the poor to afford when their budget only extends to feeding their kids on cheap burgers and chips. Give the good folk in Tower Hamlets the chance and choice to eat like those in Richmond.

19. lilachardy

I was using cabbage and butter to represent things that are healthy and things that shouldn't be consumed in large quantities... but I guess I didn't tell you that bit.

20. Duke of York

They possibly will, but I suspect the main reason they will think it ridiculous is because it would affect their ability to rip shoppers off.

Anyhow, they needn't overly fret about it. They only have to look at ways to maintain their profits by providing healthier choices for all.