1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Jug of Jargon - please add to it...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lardylegs, Nov 10, 2015.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

OK, so I've been quiet for a long, long time, but enough is really enough. Had to sit through get another staff meeting today with the School Improvement Partner banging on about the same old things as the HT constantly flags up every bloody day. I am starting new Bingo cards in the staffroom so we can tick off the phraseology as it is spouted.

So, in the season of Performance Management, here is a sample of what we are being bombarded with:

1. HMI will want to see.... (***, he/she will be here for ONE day, most of which will involve you brown nosing him/herIm with BS and graphs)
    2. Pupil Progress Meetings (in other words, go round beating up some poor teacher to show you what they've been doing with the dunderhead in year 4 - can he write his name yet?)
    3. Relentless drive for improvement (no pay rise for anyone ever again till you all fiddle the pupil tracking to show you deserve one)
    4. Professional conversations (going into someone's classroom after school, closing the door and demanding to look at the marking for the week).
    5. Robust measures to ensure progress (umpteen TAs wheeling in and out of the classroom with tiny groups trying to get them to learn the x2 table).
    6. Response to marking (pens, colours, as long as Johnny writes something in response to your Next Steps...)
    7. Impact of Pupil Premium (yes, Wayne does do Fencing Club every Thursday, it has changed his life.)

Come on, join in.......

bevdex, SportyK, palmtree100 and 22 others like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Rigour (Nobody really knows what it means but it sounds good and if we repeat it often enough we might get 'outstanding' next time)

3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Expected / more than expected progress
    All students should be above average (seriously, ive heard that)
    Doing more for less
    Closing progress gaps
    Intervention
    Evidence
    Pupil premium
    Learning walks and marking scrutiny
    Outstanding
    We value staff well being but...

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

We're getting a lot of "Growth Mindset" at the moment... No one seems exactly sure how saying it will change what we already do, however.
    Oh, and we have "Work SMARTER, not harder" too (any time we raise the issue of workload).

SportyK, subowie, blondieegg and 4 others like this.
  5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Seriously, all above average..... Bet they aren't part of the maths dept!

ScotSEN and cissy3 like this.
  6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Grandsire, maybe a bit of fixed mindset to counteract the growth? After all some of our students and staff have fixed mindset.

7. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

Is the word.......Ofsted.....banned? (Sorry if it is!)

drek likes this.
  8. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

'QA' is ours as the moment, as in 'complete and send it to me to QA'. Actually translates as 'we don't trust you'

drek and Veerwal like this.
  9. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

"Non-negotiables"
    :(

bettieblu, gabbyannie, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  10. Missbubbleblue

Missbubbleblue New commenter

Mastery-but no-one is sure what it actually means
    Unrelenting
    Hold you accountable

bevdex, subowie, sdsmith1230 and 3 others like this.
  11. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

Outstanding Teacher Programme. If only I'd realised that giving a range of every-day teaching ideas stupid names which made new acronyms for teachers to learn could make me a fortune! Fried Egg question model? Golden Nuggets? Gimmicks R Us. I can't go on- I'm grinding my teeth and it hurts...

12. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

Would just love to see how that works with 35 books to be triple marked and a stopwatch at the ready. Perhaps SLT might offer to demo it....(thought not!)

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Reminds me of the time we Heads of Year had to do a book scrutiny and report back. The pupils in each year group were selected (not knowledge for the staff.... except for the dep head in charge)
    Interestingly that same dep head - who taught one class 3 lessons a week as his total timetable taught one of the selected pupils.
    Well.....guess what...... in that one child's book in the dep head's subject - there was 3/4 of a page (small handwriting) of feedback per lesson/hw marked !

"That's the way to do it!...."

Alice K and drek like this.
  14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Great thread. I'm out of it now..........and yet this **** still has the power to make me spit blood.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was going to add this one. My daughter heard it last night at her son's parent/teacher evening. He has mastery of Maths, it means he is working at level 6 apparently. Does this mean he has peaked and never needs to do any more work - I doubt it.

notsonorthernlass, drek and snowyhead like this.
  16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We had a staff meeting once on "Good Teach", as opposed to "Carp teach" presumably.

notsonorthernlass and drek like this.
  17. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

Well, we need to SALT all the work and then do the DIRT... :)

18. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

And when did 'support' become 'sack'?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah @newposter [who isn't so new anymore] got there before me!

Support Programme = we are shafting you

20. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Before your school throws their hearts and souls into this latest fad (I am of the opinion its more snake oil being peddled, in the same manner that Brain Gym was) they might just want to have a look at this:

David Didau: Is growth mindset psuedoscience?

Judith38, Norsemaid and drek like this.