1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Job in Switzerland

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Jan 20, 2019.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

You will get much better-value rentals up the mountain, if you are looking at areas around Lac Leman.

2. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Also worth comparing actual amount of lessons per week (and duration of lessons). I was offered several jobs at the same time. In one the actual teaching time was 27 hours and in the other (my current job) it was 20 hours (well, actually 20 x 55 min lessons). This makes a massive difference. Looking back on it 27 hours of actual lessons is way too much, unless of course you are repeating a lot using same lesson for different classes. I even remember a friend in HK told me she was only on 13 hours a week (her salary was excellent). I was pretty jealous as my salary is nothing compared to hers yet she teaches much less than I do. Furthermore, the job might pay more but if you're offered one with a bigger salary and has 8 hours of teaching more is it worth the extra money?

Another important factor are holidays. My salary is so so but you could not ask for better holidays in my school: 2 weeks at Halloween, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in Feb, 2 weeks in April, 6-7 weeks in summer. The year is broken up nicely. Once I begin to get irritated by kids a holiday is coming up!

I remember being interested in moving to Taiwan and used a popular Taiwan forum for advice, but when people mentioned the holidays in typical school jobs there they seemed awfully short and I was surprised they were so bad. This kind of thing can make a big difference to your state of mind given that teaching can at times be stressful.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Average decent school would be 180 days contracted time, with around 176 contact from my experience.

4. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

Hello! I have current experience of Switzerland. Feel free to send me a conversation.

migratingbird likes this.