1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A job description for the role of Director of PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by zogga26, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi, This is my first time on TES forum, but i've been told it is good for ideas and support. I am looking to go for a role of Director of PE and was wondering if anyone had any job descriptions that i could work some ideas from. Anything wold be a start. The school will be Age 4 to 18.
    Thank-you [​IMG]
    Zoe

2. Hi, This is my first time on TES forum, but i've been told it is good for ideas and support. I am looking to go for a role of Director of PE and was wondering if anyone had any job descriptions that i could work some ideas from. Anything wold be a start. The school will be Age 4 to 18.
    Thank-you [​IMG]
    Zoe

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I put a query on 'What exactly is a Director of Sport' a while back.
    I think different schools have different interpretations depending on their circumstances and setup. The main options seemed to be:
    • Someone in a PE Department whose sole responsibility is to oversee all aspects of extra curricular PE including Games, leagues, fixtures, Inter House competition
    • Someone who overseas both curricular and extra curricular sport in both the Primary and Secondary sectors of a large (usually private or overseas) school.
    • As above but solely in Primary or Secondary, again usually in overseas or private sector
    • Someone who overseas a particularly large department in a particularly large school - given the title to reflect the amount and level of responsibility
    As far as specific job descriptions are concerned, these are pretty similar to those for a Head of PE in my experience

4. Apart from....

[*]Will not have a teaching timetable.
    Unless you are a mug, of course....

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Correct.
    The original idea came from the US schools' 'Athletics Directors' who usually do the first option in my list, but also don't do any/much teaching - nice
    In addition, many US schools and colleges pay extra for taking school teams - even nicer!
    Directors of Sport are a relatively new thing (ie in the last 10 years).

6. Thank-you for your comments.
    Zoe