1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A job completed and reasonably well done !

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jul 20, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As part of the huge (and generally so far successful) transformation that is sweeping our school we (as a department) were all assigned a pretty steep set of tasks to do before the end of the academic year in our Year 11 "Gained Time" - in my case this amounted to preparing about two years worth of lessons in my subject with associated assessment tasks, quizzes and revision lessons and if I finished all of that to do Homework tasks and glossaries as well.

I started 4 weekends ago and apart from doing a bit of random teaching I've been working solidly since then. the last two weekends I've worked both days and I reckon I've put in well over 120 hours work on this.

But I've done it - I finished off the last couple of power points yesterday and transferred the whole lot over onto the school network ready for September. I had something to work with with the lessons (although a lot has changed) but everything else I did from scratch.

Will I get any thanks or recognition for all this - probably not - but three of us will use all of the material that I have produced and although I never have been one to blow my own trumpet - what I have produced is infinitely better than what we had before.

I do feel like I've achieved something - has everyone else in the department done their stuff ?

Who cares.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's a lot to be said for hitting the ground running in September - get 'em in the classroom and on task as fast as possible, because they already know what the rules are and every b*gger else is wasting good learning time reminding them.

Good effort sir. A+

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Stand by though. New government incoming which will need some diversionary ‘initiatives’ - you should have a new curriculum to plan by October 1/2 term:cool:

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I wouldn't have done the weekends...No siree!

cissy3 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Didn't have much of a choice.

6. FrankWolley

Well I think there must be an argument over whether the task you were directed to is 'reasonable'. And if it isn't then you could have either done as much as you can in the time available or have done it all but less well than you would ideally want.

Personally I had no time for idiots (even if they are on SLT) who give out unreasonable demands and would have sabotaged it if necessary.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I assume you have kept your own copy of the plans. I find school networks have a habit of deleting schemes from time to time, I once did long term a medium-term plans for a year group in English and Maths. Uploaded it and week later it had disappeared!

phlogiston likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Perhaps - but if I had not got this done we would have gone into September with a half done SOW and I didn't want that. I have always had a very good work ethic and if I consider something is worth doing then I will give it my best shot. I don't work every weekend but once I got started I actually found it hard to stop.

But it's done - I won't be doing anything much over the Summer (which I suspect some of the others may have to).

My school has been pretty rubbish for a long time but we have an excellent new SLT and for the first time since I've been there there is a feeling of a school "coming together". Two years ago I probably wouldn't have bothered but times change.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Oldie

I have three copies of it all !

10. FrankWolley

I'm all for getting prepared before the new year/term, but 2 years worth of work in advance is overkill.

cissy3 and lilachardy like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It amounted to about 100 lessons I think - and also it's for two year groups so actually it's only one year in advance.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've been doing various tasks in my department... using gained time.

The TLR holders have been listening to music and singing ...

Doesn't bug me at all. /s

13. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I totally get you Peakster.

I finished yesterday and have everything done and ready for next year. I know I will have to make some adjustments as the academic year progresses as I respond to the needs of my learners but the donkey work is done and it’s a nice feeling.

Now I can relax and enjoy the holiday then go back rested without fear of being swamped.

I am lucky enough to work in a good school that looks after its staff.

1 person likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Two offsite?

Mrsmumbles and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

I’m still waiting for my timetable.

cissy3 and yoda92 like this.
  16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Planning time is never wasted (unless you don't teach the groups).

17. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Why should you be thanked? Have you not rushed your planning in a state of panic and why did you do it over your own weekends? Never ever be a martyr for your job - otherwise you will lose all sense of hope, normality and home life.

18. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

I ran out of mental energy...I don't know how you did this.

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Well done Peakster. Hope you enjoy your Summer holiday now. I’m going to work tomorrow, I want to get a bit ahead of myself too.

20. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

It sounds blinkered imho. And it is really sad that some teachers feel it necessary to do this. Is this the state of teacher work hours today?

I can't say 'well done ' but I can only imgine things must be pretty dire if it results in a teacher losing their valuable home life in this manner. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work in this way. I would speak to my line manager more though to get the much needed time.