1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A* in Resistant Materials AQA

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Dandolf, Feb 3, 2011.

1. <font size="1">When I attended the AQA RM standardisation meeting, there were no proper examples of A* coursework. My course adviser said that they tend not so that teachers are not being put off by the high standards.</font><font size="1">How am I suppose to know whether my pupils are doing A* work if we do not have any good examples. The example of the bike stand supposedly got full marks in all sections but it does not even have evidence of a manufacturing spec.</font> <font size="1">Any advice, either how to spot or to increase the A's to A* will be appreciated.</font>

2. <font size="1">When I attended the AQA RM standardisation meeting, there were no proper examples of A* coursework. My course adviser said that they tend not so that teachers are not being put off by the high standards.</font><font size="1">How am I suppose to know whether my pupils are doing A* work if we do not have any good examples. The example of the bike stand supposedly got full marks in all sections but it does not even have evidence of a manufacturing spec.</font> <font size="1">Any advice, either how to spot or to increase the A's to A* will be appreciated.</font>

3. There is no such thing as an A* project. A* is awarded at grade awarding related to the overall performance in project and exam and is a fixed percentage calculation. In theory, if everyone in the country achieved a C standard the best of these would be A*, followed by A etc.
    Indeed, at this moment in time there is not even A - G grades as the new specs have not been through the process of grade awarding. Best advice is to assume that standards will carry forward from the legacy spec and assume an A grade last year would get a similar grade this year. Any teacher predicting an A* at this stage is misguided (to put it mildly).
    As far as getting full marks is concerned the AQA criteria in the top band is very demanding and it is not expected that every criterion is met (these would be superstars). It works on a best fit holistic judgement and so it is possible that there could be several gaps and still be worth the full marks as underperformance in one area can be compensated for by over performanc in another. Don't try to use it as a tick box system, those days are gone as far as this awarding body is concerned, thank goodness.
    Best advice I can give as far as getting A* is concerned is to concentrate on the exam paper as few get anywhere near the maximum marks for this part of the assessment. We will have a much better idea next year once we have published boundaries but cream always rises to the top so however hard you push your kids it is still dependent on everyone else as well!