1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A* in AQA LIt Poetry GCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by rhmorton, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hello. In the markscheme, to get an A*, it says they have to provide an 'evaluation of use of lang and effect on reader', and 'evaluative comparison'. Does this mean including consideration of how successful the poets are, in the opinion of the student? Should we be pushing them to explicitly write about this, eg by suggesting that Armitage's control of pace in Hitcher is less subtle than Duffy's in Stealing (or whatever)?
    Any thoughts?

2. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

I don't think they should be making that kind of judgement. I think it means they consider the reaons why different techniques are used. For example looking to see how one technique is used for different reasons and creates different effects in two poems. Or how one idea is portrayed using different techniques in two poems.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I disagree. I used to mark Lit(H) and that was exactly what the best papers did. An A* is looking for a sophisticated response. Comparing the effect of metaphor in two poems isn't A* material.

4. tiredzzz

tiredzzz New commenter

I am a senior examiner for this paper. And comparing the effect of a metaphor in two poems could indeed be evaluative comaprison, if done effectively.

5. tiredzzz

tiredzzz New commenter

You're correct, Asta!

6. OK, but what does 'evaluative comparison' actually mean?