1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 10, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I totally agree with you.

I have put a load of materials online, bust my giblets preparing and delivering online live lessons and somehow I am supposed to now put a plan in place to allow those students who did not attend the online lessons or attempt any of the online work to catch up. I am only allowed to give positive feedback to parents. It is a joke.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Rename your resources Carch Up Corner.
    Point everyone there.

3. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

I put all my content on youtube. When students ask for catch up I'll direct them to my channel!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

I feel your frustration, but for some children just picking up where they left off isn’t what’s needed as it’s not just about delivering the content alone. If it was just a matter of following the content they probably wouldn’t be behind. These children were probably struggling in some way before lockdown so it might be about identifying what the barrier is for that child: have they got some fundamental gaps in understanding from previous years? Do they struggle to apply learning in new contexts? Understand the question? Do they need concrete or visual tools? Are they not getting enough practice? Do they find it hard to structure their responses? These are the questions to answer before deciding what/ where/ how to start teaching the child in question. Obviously this shouldn’t be for every child, not practicable: start with the ones you know are vulnerable in general and those who were always hanging in with fingertips. Do a bit of analysis as above. Then you may be able to group pairs with similar issues.

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.