1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 10, 2020.

1. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

Totally agree with you Lalad.

2. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53100881
    Just listening to Nick Gibb on BBC Breakfast. Money to be available in September - so what has become of the “summer catch up” they talked about. Tuition given to private tuition companies - so someone is make no money here. I can’t help wondering how this will work. The children who most need this extra support won’t take it up if it’s something to be done at home.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Does anyone else think that Primary school children with average ability or better will catch up quickly. Children with learning difficulties might well benefit from extra, or different, input. Am I out of step thinking this.
    Older children who need to have covered specific curriculum content will need extra but how much curriculum content is essential? This is a genuine question.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The "huge amount of catch up over summer" has clearly been dropped already. There's still no plan for how children will get back to school in September. We move from one shambles to the next.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

But how damaging will it be.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I suppose very little of the curriculum content is actually essential other than to pass exams. That is not to say it isn't valuable.

8. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

The reality is, all the "catch up over the summer", "teachers to volunteer" and so on boils down to the lack of respect and trust by the Government and the department of education for the teaching profession as a whole, who they believe will all sit on their left-wing backsides and do absolutely nothing until forced to by the wise and knowledgeable minister and his minions, who know more about all teachers' classes than the teachers themselves. I strongly suspect that a new limiting factor in Ofsted inspections will be the level of "volunteering" done by teaching staff. Less than 100% will mean a grade 4 inspection outcome.

Smiler31 likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

sunshineneeded and Pomza like this.
  10. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

BBC says schools will receive about £80.00 per pupil for the lessons.

Weaverhill likes this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Per lesson or per pupil?

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So about 2 hours per pupil then.

13. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

And we have been told the school has to fund 20% of this from existing the budget

14. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Confirming £80 per pupil and cost on line lessons is 25% paid by the schools See BBC Education web site for two articles on this topic. Its all smoke and mirrors. Education spending still 3% less than in 2010.

15. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

The other herd of elephants in the room is the tourism and hospitality industry. If all or most of the children are back in school to catch up, how are they and their families going to go to the tourist areas for their holidays, not to mention all the teachers and others who work in education who will be too busy teaching and supervising the children in education to manage two weeks at peak season price in a tourist area. Looks like the tourism industry will not have many takers this summer. Those without commitments to the education industry either from employment or children will not go away peak season anyway, they will simply wait until the prices come down from peak time in September or October.

jusch and agathamorse like this.
  16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Tourists could visit schools to enjoy the cultural capital.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Totally agree - having been back at school with Y6 for one week now, I can see that the majority will catch up very quickly. Some of the children with specific learning difficulties would benefit from extra input, but most will be back up to speed very quickly. We had a 'welcome back' first week with lots of PSHE activities, but they're all very much ready for more structured learning ... starts on Monday.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@sunshineneeded You've made my week!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The summer catch up has been abandoned already. The extra money is't staring until September.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. jusch

jusch New commenter

So, parents, tutors and heads of year are increasingly emailing me asking me for an individualised catch-up plan for some child that has fallen behind (due to laziness or genuinely adverse circumstances). I am confused as to what they mean - all my narrated powerpoints are sitting on the VLE, differentiated and in a logical sequence that I have thought hard about. THAT'S YOUR CATCH-UP PLAN. Surely, if a child really wanted to catch up (now that their computer works again etc), the best thing they could do, is to continue where they stopped and work their way through the material (possibly leaving out the extensions and challenge tasks). They could work at their own speed and maybe finish everything by September. Or they could work harder and faster and finish in time for the summer holidays.

But all these people asking me to produce individualised catch-up plans seem to imply that by restructuring the material I can somehow make half the work go away so that the child can comfortably catch up without putting in any extra time. The mind boggles. Of course I can reduce the work and point the child towards the most essential tasks only - but then the child will continue to have gaps, just in slightly less obvious places. Will I then be asked to produce a new individualised catch-up task in September which tackles those gaps?

I am annoyed by this illusion that catching up largely comes down to teachers doing extra planning, rather than students doing extra work. This is not a rant about lazy students - some student are not able put in 6-hour days on their own. But I can do no more than basic damage control with "a plan".

Thoughts?