1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 10, 2020.

1. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I imagine if lessons were offered over summer only the motivated students would be likely to attend and the gap would widen even more. The government seems to operate by making announcements without any consultation or consideration of the practical difficulties and then just expecting things to happen.

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Would love to see what that actually looks like in reality. What are the LA people actually doing themselves anyway? Re-emailing the DfE updates to heads and watching plenty of daytime TV...

Piscean1 and agathamorse like this.
  3. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Where do you get enough supply teachers, though? I'm up in Scotland and most of the people I see on supply are even more ancient than I am. Some vulnerable staff won't be able to go back into school for the time being. Is the situation different in England?

ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

How big is this gap really ? Have kids been doing nothing at all ? Not sure that all the hype in the news is just winding teachers up.

lindenlea and phlogiston like this.
  5. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Yes. In England many vulnerable staff are being forced to go into school as the schools are suddenly medical experts and decide individuals are not included in the groups for various reasons. Even some shielded staff are asked to come in.

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

"Shops in England reopen after three months of lockdown"

"Secondary schools bring pre-exam pupils in for face time"

"Exams in 2021 could face disruption too"

The catch up that the Govt really wants is all those shoppers to buy things. Is Education really the focus here ?

sbkrobson, agathamorse and meggyd like this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well I can't buy things because I'm at work, albeit on line (because most of my learners don't want to come in yet) and then I've got staff meeting. Apart from a new battery for one of my watches, nothing much I want to buy anyway.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Well, all the supplies of commonsense have run out, it might be in stock again next month but it's not likely.

Catgirl1964, ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm supply. I have told my agency that if they have work I will consider it but I will need a premium rate for it.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well they were quite prepared to throw teachers under a bus as they did care home workers, they simply didnt think about the reality of schools at all. Once the infection rate is down you can get more children in, unitl then you can't. Some children will fall behind, some adults will lose their jobs, some families will slip below the poverty line that's the way it's going to be. It could have been handled better but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Some of the mistakes were politicians being stupid - expecting all schools to take back YR pupils, not stock piling PPE, others were people doing their best but getting it wrong - herd immunity. We've got to live with the results

PeterQuint likes this.
  11. eltongriffin

eltongriffin New commenter

Are personal / home
    tuition agencies starting to be busy?

12. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I seem to have missed the follow up announcement about the funding for these summer schools. Could someone point it out for me please.

13. banjouk

banjouk Occasional commenter

SEND assessments
    Admissions processes
    Social care referrals
    Safeguarding responses
    Capital projects
    Etc.

None of these magically go away due to C19, just new ways of working like the rest of the sector. I’ve not watched much daytime TV, too busy with DIY projects around the house :)

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53049127

Only 55% of parents engaging. I agree with the earlier poster who said that gaps will occur not just as a result of social and learning vulnerabilities but also as a result of pupil and parent attitude. I have seen a change in the last few weeks from the reactions of both students and parents. I feel a big responsibility to provide valuable and interesting learning activities to my non-returning cohort but sadly parents, now tired of it all are tending to react if we try to contact. We try to follow up, check to see if we can help students with problems etc. They are starting to see this as a nuisance. We can’t deliver as well as in school but if they do these tasks they will not be as far behind as they will without doing them. The next few weeks are going to be tough. My fear is the gaps will be blamed on inadequate provision and yet a large part of it will be a result of lack of pupil and parental responsibility.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The next academic year will be hell.

I am already getting numerous requests for Tutoring.

Sally006 likes this.
  16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The bottom line with education is that it is teamwork between curriculum decision makers, teachers, budget holders, school managers parents and very importantly the children themselves that decide how much progress is made.
    We can deliver the curriculum, we can move mountains to make it accessible and engaging, but if children "don't want" to learn, there is only so much we can do about it.

17. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Nothing new there then

ridleyrumpus and agathamorse like this.
  18. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

No, No, No! Do you not realise from the Wilshaw (and others, especially FE) book of education management, that if the children "don't want to learn", it is entirely your fault as a teacher for not making your classes engaging and interesting enough. Though even a virtual reality Total Immersion Life with games, chocolate and energy drinks would still not be enough for some children. Always remember it will be your fault as a teacher, not their problems as a student/pupil. You really must try harder. (No offence or criticism intended, firmly tongue in cheek)

19. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

One of my gifted and talented students emailed me . He wondered why no work had been set on show my homework. I informed him we are now using google class room and have been since 1st June. I should add a letter went home to the whole year group before half term , head of year posted a message to the entire year group on SMHW , its been on the school facebook pages and twitter and I have told my class. Gifted and talented at skiving.

20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

How can I write a catch-up plan for all the children in my class when I haven't seen them for 12 weeks? There is no point in running catch-up classes this summer - we need to get as many children as possible back in school in September, and at the end of the autumn term it will be clear which children need extra support.

strawbs, agathamorse and Sally006 like this.