1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Interesting read.

I wonder if the same reasoning would cover extra days (and the work outside of normal school hours) that arose in addition to directed time ie summer school. If not then what is there to stop someone directing you to work the 365 days you are being paid for (less statutory holiday pay)?

2. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

That was the attack line used by Bojo but it doesn't mean it's true.

At previous PMQs Starmer expressed his despair at the lack of constructive planning made by the government and the fact that the PM blurted out ( at that infamous Sunday address to the nation ) the re-opening of schools for various year groups without any dialogue with those who would implement it. Starmer wrote to the PM at the time to say it was unworkable as it stood and offered to lend his full support to work with schools and unions to get people on board and overcome the deficiencies in the government's non-consultation. Bottom line: Starmer was proved right. The government has back-tracked. It is at fault for not working with schools and appreciating the logistical problems which teachers, schools and unions rightly pointed out at the time.

This week at PMQs Starmer pointed out that the government had failed because of their lack of consultation and planning. If they'd put more effort into working with education professionals they could have avoided the humiliating climb down.

I appreciate that Boris and some of the one-eyed press don't do nuanced argument (and have found it convenient to frame it as Starmer flip-floping on the issue) but there is nothing inconsistent in saying a few weeks ago 'it's too soon, you'll not be able to do it unless you come up with something better, here's what we would do - we'd like to help' and then when that advice and offer of help is completely rejected now pointing it out and saying 'we told you so - you should have listened to us - the fault for this fiasco lies at your door.'

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

And I would add that the 2m spacing rule has the effect of making full-time schooling for all students impossible. The 2m rule, which I agree with, means that only half of students can attend school at the same time. Either more teachers get hired and more rooms are found or we accept that exams for 2021 will have to be cancelled. The weird situation in Scotland is that the current plan is for all students to return, half in school, half at home doing online learning (whatever that is).

bojo's government simply stated a rule and said to the schools, get on with it. The government will simply not accept or even acknowledge the longer term effects of that rule. In my opinion, exams 2021 will have to be cancelled again. I would just like to hear the government say it.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

There will be a never-ending cycle of 'catch up '. Those unable to catch up on the summer catch up will have to catch up on a later catch up.

5. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

If it's a voluntary thing and at most over 2 weeks on a sort of rota then I wouldn't mind doing some sort of catch up thing near the end of the summer but can't see us being paid extra for it.

As long as I have a good 4 weeks to just unwind and you know, plan for next year, then it wouldn't be too bad.

Personally I think they're going to ask schools to provide catch up and leave it up to SLT to tick the box somehow.

PeterQuint, Piscean1 and agathamorse like this.
  6. moscowbore

So how do you plan for having only half of your student at a time?

I agree that schools will be delegated the responsibility for "catch up" with no additional budget. just like leaving head teachers to decide if they can open on June 1st.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Not sure I follow you there.

Your STPCD annual salary pays you for 1265 hours directed time + "such reasonable additional hours as may be necessary to enable the effective discharge of the teacher’s professional duties..." related to the 1265 hours. If you take on additional directed hours those hours, + any "additional hours" linked to them, are outside your standard contractual duties. So if you voluntarily agreed to do those extra duties you should be paid for them.

Agreeing what you should be paid has plenty of scope for disagreement!

But going right back to your post #1 and Johnson's comment about "a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer" I still have no idea what it means. Probably a lot of Johnson smoke and mirrors.

So far the DfE have been clear that the summer term will not be extended and teachers will not be expected to work over the summer. DfE were briefing that there would be a (voluntary for children) "boosted" summer camp/youth club on offer. Much as happens in many places every summer but with "added learning", whatever that means, and staffed primarily by people like youth leaders and sports coaches.

So I don't think the question of what's covered by teachers' annual salary will ever arise. Whatever eventually goes ahead will be separately funded by DfE and be offered as a separate, standalone, contracts at whatever pay rate DfE decide. Anyone suitably qualified - youth leaders, sports coaches, teachers etc - can then apply for the job if they want to.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  8. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I don't know what subject you teach, but I am a Maths teacher / tutor. It would be relatively easy for a teacher to set an end of year test covering everything that should have been covered this academic year (most school do it with Maths anyway). The supply teachers could be paid to mark the tests and then create lessons to fill the gaps in knowledge. For example if simultaneous equations should have been taught 5 weeks ago, then it would appear on the test but most students probably won't be able to do it so the supply teacher teaches that.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Seems a simplistic view of learning and curriculum: just find a gap and fill it. Learning is not just about separate chunks, it’s about how learning builds on from what has gone before, including methods, tools, images and context. This is what the skilled teacher would know and where to start. For example a child in KS2 might struggle with mentally bridging through 100 etc but the real issue is that the number bonds taught at Year 1 were never secure. Or they can do the method within that topic but can’t apply in any other context, or don’t know what method to use. How would a volunteer/ teacher there for a random week know all this?

Catgirl1964 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  10. moscowbore

I picked up a very mixed ability maths group, year 10. There were three distinct groups in the class. The least able group could not do times tables. y10 could not do times tables. I could scarcely believe it. However, I worked with what I had in front of me, prepared three distinct sets of teaching materials for each lesson and took a year to get the whole class to the point where we all did trigonometry at the end of the year. Hard work and it took me a year. You cannot possibly expect a supply teacher to just drop in a fill a gap like grouting tiles.
    I will repeat again, exams 2021 should be cancelled now.

Catgirl1964 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  11. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

agathamorse and phlogiston like this.
  12. banjouk

banjouk Occasional commenter

HMI’s have been deployed to LAs to help with the COVID response. The RSCs have been sounding out LAs re summer opening.

13. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Should teachers be paid if they worked at Easter or May Half Term to cover Key Worker school? If payment for the summer holiday work should be paid why not other holidays. Most teachers will have been in those holidays.

ridleyrumpus and agathamorse like this.
  14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

More evidence that the Govt which leads us has a very sketchy idea about what we do and how we do it -just like Mr and Mrs Joseph Public. Witness the idea that all pupils could return to PS before the end of July.
    It's interesting that pubs and takeaways feature so prominently in the 'dreams of normality' of Mr and Mrs Public. Perhaps it's because the mind finds it hard to process + 55, 000 deaths and long since gave up worrying about the virus.
    The simplistic band-aid approach to the school return is unlikely to go anywhere near closing this ' gap' that is being spoken of. I'm pretty certain that the 'gaps' were there beforehand and, TBH, this 12 week + hasn't increased it to the extent the Govt would have you believe.
    My students have been reading a novel and answering essay questions. If they haven't done it, they won't have exactly scarred themselves for life.

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sure LA are very grateful for HMIs vast knowledge of how to run an education system in a pandemic ;)

There's about 150 LAs and about 150 HMI so they get one each. I wonder what the one my LA has got is doing?

Piscean1, Sally006 and jellycowfish like this.
  16. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

My experience ( which I would never claim as anything more than anecdotal evidence ) has been that the gap has widened between my motivated and lazy pupils. In some cases this correlates with the disadvantaged, but not always. We are working hard pastorally to get those pupils (re)engaged in the Teams lessons and online work - providing technology where we can / phonecalls home to parents/carers / getting the disengaged back into some routine of completing the work / tracking progress. I'm sure other schools are doing exactly the same.

I agree with ACOYEAR8 - I haven't yet seen any evidence so far that the progress of PP versus non-PP has fallen off a cliff edge as is frequently claimed. If we're still in the same situation in September, we're just going to have to do what we're doing ( even better ).

I have my doubts as to how successful any summer 'catch up' could ever be and whether we'll be targeting the right pupils with the right interventions. All PP? Just the ones who are behind? Do we get to choose? Staffing? Funding? Will it be more than a government PR exercise? It will be interesting to find out what Gavin Williamson says this week. Once again, though, I can't help but think it would have been a good idea to consult us first. Only 5wks to go....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  17. Sally006

I couldn’t agree more. The gaps relate to motivation of pupils and parents to participate in the learning we provide. However, in our school we have tried hard to get our most vulnerable into key worker school but the mission of this has become rather confused. At the start the focus was on providing childcare for those front line workers to get out there and fight the virus and all its consequences. A focus on “doing our bit” to allow the front line workers to save lives. As such we took the view that the children of key workers were not to be given targeted lessons and thus have any unfair advantage over their peers educationally. So we asked them to do the same learning tasks provided for those at home with some practical art, nature study etc thrown in as lighter relief. After Easter we realised certain families were totally disengage from the start so a concerned effort was made to provide laptops, or get those “vulnerable” (certainly not all has a social worker) into school. We did a good job and with the exception of a couple of families they came in. Now staff in on the rota for key workers and vulnerable have realised very poor degree of educational attainment and so are trying to offer much more support to get them to engage in the learning. Some had done nothing at home at all. The focus has shifted to support in closing the gap from childcare. Again the original intent was to provide “safe haven” not educational support. Quite honestly this is very hard to do with increasing numbers of Key Worker children. Parents who had one key worker and a spouse who was working from home did not take up the provision. Now spouse is going back to work so their kids are coming in. They are entitled according to the guidance. We can’t refuse them. But we have swelled our numbers with the needy pupils too. No one seems to know how to manage them now. We also now have key worker children who are being brought to and collected from school by grandparents!!

Hang on a minute. I thought the whole point of this was to stop exposure to the grandparent generation? So if the hospitals are no longer in crisis, it’s safe for families to reconnect with grandparents what on Earth are we doing keeping this service going in schools in this current form? In fact some schools Key Work groups are so large they haven’t any space to offer the returning cohorts in Reception, Y1 and Y6. The whole situation is a complete mess.

18. banjouk

banjouk Occasional commenter

Not all LAs took HMI up on the offer so some received more than one inspector. They have the same opinion as we do that school staff need a break over the summer.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  19. Sally006

Another thought here. If we get a second wave (sincerely pray we don’t) in the winter will schools be expected to open their doors again to key worker children over Christmas?

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter