1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

According to Boris "a huge amount of catch up for pupils over the summer"

I wonder what exciting things are in store?

I predict some very anti teacher headlines if teachers are asked to work over summer and the unions point out that teachers are not paid over the holidays and the gov best pay up for teachers working "overtime"...

freedomlife54 and agathamorse like this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Surely the way to combat this is simply to say nothing until the last day of term - and then say 'no'. Too late for a plan B or any arm twisting.

NB Even if all teachers volunteered to work 24/7 for 6 weeks for nothing, politicians, newspapers and many parents would still moan at them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    mrajlong, Sally006, Stiltskin and 6 others like this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

Ain't that the truth.

agathamorse and strawbs like this.
  4. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

24/7...

The '7' bit was mooted today as a possible solution.

Tim Lawton MP on Radio 4:
    "We might get some pupils going in over the weekend..."

agathamorse likes this.
  5. jonnymarr

To be fair ( ! ) they have often talked about an 'army of volunteers' stepping up - non-teaching staff, eg (newly deputised?) teaching assistants and perhaps retired teachers volunteering to go in and help ( the disadvantaged ) ... unpaid was the understanding at the time...

Make what you will of that idea!!!
    I believe the good folk on the 'retirement' forum have already shared their opinions on the subject...

jellycowfish, Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  6. jonnymarr

Tim Loughton, not Lawton, my mistake.

7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I'm one of them.

Most are fully retired. I'm retired from teaching, but working in a school.

If I were offered full teacher's pay, and I chose when I was available, and could still take my holiday abroad (if it runs), I might consider it.

But every fully retired teacher I know of says thanks, but no thanks.

So here's the question.

Teachers - if you were asked - not forced, purely voluntary - and you were paid the going rate, and you could work as much or as little as you liked.

Who'd consider it?

Marisha likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It would be a safeguarding nightmare to drag in retired teachers, former soldiers unemployed students and the like.
    There would be no coherency of curriculum, let alone any notion of catch up.
    I will be wanting a break in the summer as my working year has been the same as far as days worked are concerned, and the online teaching I've found online harder work than face to face.
    However, with the right kids and money I might be tempted. Not for free though.

9. emski1

emski1 New commenter

Nope. I wouldn’t unless forced (if that’s even possible?!) I’ve been working longer hours than when in school providing a comprehensive online provision and will be very glad of the break.
    Plus, which kids are they expecting in over the summer? Those that are keen will already be working hard and those that aren’t, well...suggesting they come in over the holidays might not go down well.
    And then there’s the knock on effects if children were to spend their summer learning and going straight into the long winter term. They are a nightmare the last few weeks before Christmas as it is - imagine how they would be if they’d been going since a July with no break!

10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Yet another government idea which will come to nothing, a bit like the ambition that all primary years will go back to school for 4 weeks before the holidays. That one was also a non starter.

jellycowfish, Sally006 and Piscean1 like this.
  11. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

They can get stuffed. No further justification. I don't need to defend expecting my holidays to be holidays.

12. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

If the conditions were as you set out then I would consider a small number of hours over the summer. Normally I am desperate for a break from school and anxious to spend as much time as possible with my family. This year I am neither of those things, and I can see that some children really do need the catch-up time.

It would need very careful thought to ensure you get the right kids, for an appropriate amount of time, with a workable number of staff - who would need to feel valued. I wonder...

ajrowing and Catgirl1964 like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Perhaps Boris intends to move 2 weeks from the Summer hols and put them in the Winter months instead to cover the 2nd spike.

Or maybe there is a schedule of Ofsted Inspections to catch up with reminding some schools they are awful.

Piscean1 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

This seems extraordinary. It's currently not possible for schools to cope with more than a handful of children at a time and yet somehow over the summer they'll all be able to go in and be taught by an "army" of volunteers. What's going to change in the next 5 weeks to make that possible? I can only see infections going back up again before then as the "lock down" has disintegrated.

15. install

install Star commenter

Who will volunteer and do the work for free..MPs or Ofsted or CEOs ?:cool:

ajrowing, agathamorse and phlogiston like this.
  16. fools_life

fools_life New commenter

I don't want to go in during holidays. It's a slippery slope we have been open without a break since February. Our vulnerable and key worker children are exhausted, bored and frankly not pleasant to be with. If they have to go until October/November without a break they will be put off schooling forever.

I echo the feelings of others. Mu working life has become a 7 day a week chore, emails texts and phone calls at all hours. I have battled with learning all manner of new tech.

I have had to teach my own children as they're school made it impossible for them to go there. They are temporarily attending my class. I have lost a family member.to the disease, who had the indignity of dying alone and frightened.

I have and continue to fulfill my contracted hours and more I need time now to gather my family and children close and have a full break so that come September I can do my best work. I will NOT be volunteering to catch up kids who have done none of the work I have set for them.

17. fools_life

fools_life New commenter

Typos sorry I'm tired

18. ridleyrumpus

I did hear yesterday someone on the radio opine that OFSTED inspectors are not currently doing anything* so they could help out with the teaching.

Oh please, oh please, oh please

* Yes I know that many inspectors are current members of SLT. But what's not to like? You get to see OFSTED inspectors AND SLT showing us how it's done.

jellycowfish, Lalad, Sally006 and 9 others like this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Agree.

The Gvt messed up here imho.

All those empty work place buildings all over the country and they couldn’t find the spaces to have social distanced lessons.

It seems wrong to suddenly apply pressure, stress and panic on pupils who have seen their older peers not do exams, not turn up for less time and not be told they must catch up.

agathamorse and ridleyrumpus like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

It seems Ofsted are paid critics who copy and paste reports for schools with one hand , but then refuse to teach with the other.