1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A horrible day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Goldopals, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I have had a horrible day and need to vent.
    I did not sleep well last night due to nightmares. There was a fire at a town near by, and I dreamt about bushfires.
    I had 75% of one of my classes away! I could not start the new topic, which I had spent hours preparing for last night and over the weekend.
    My SOSE class were complete and utter ratbags. It was an easy lesson (latitude and longitude) and the *** would not shut up. The majority of the kids were HORRIBLE and NOISY and nothing I did could shut them up. The kids with learning difficulties understood what I was teaching easily and completed ALL the work and had fun doing it. My two non readers could do the activity with the assistance of an SSO (they just needed help with the instructions)!
    I usually would keep them in and even make them write lines, but it was close to 40 degrees Celsius (104F) today and doing that would be a reward. I let the good kids go to lunch, some of whom wanted to stay to make me feel better, to lecture the others. It was so bad that I was crying as soon as they left. I was very grateful that I had my sunnies with me to hide my eyes.
    I have a large Maths class, and do not have enough time to give students the time they need. All of them are at different stages because of different ability levels, a week long camp and frequent absences. Two girls apologised because they did not understand me, and asked another teacher for help. They were embarassed and sorry for me because of the more needy members of the class (who should be in the lower stream).
    It was almost 40 degrees when I rode my bike home! I was wearing pants (trousers) and a thick plot shirt!
    Good things about today: my kids with learning difficulties 'got it', my book arrive from amazon, I hit an E on my trumpet, I had a nice chat with my difficult student in the empty class and another teacher asked for some worksheets I made.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Where abouts in Aus are you? Sorry you had a sucky day, on the plus though its Friday night! Hope you have a great weekend and get to use your amazing lesson next week x

3. Sorry to hear about yr horrible day. I've just finished for the day and one of my classes today only had three kids in it. I called it a result!

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Now when you hit top C two octaves above middle C you know you have had a good day x

5. I've had a pretty unsatisfying day myself so thought I'd go to the pub after work. Sat there for half an hour on my own and then wondered if everyone had started going to a different pub (or maybe I smell bad). I rang some colleagues who I thought usually went to the pub on Fridays and they were all too fed up to even bother with the pub and had just gone straight home! Where are these schools where everyone piles into the pub on the stroke of 3?

6. Floating around, as memories, from the 1970s?

7. Well, sorry to be too positive but I had a great day!
    Admin time P1 to start preparing a massive report (rest still to do this weekend but I can't have every thing), Options Interveiws with my form P2 when a couple of dads turned up to support their children (they were not invited but it was fantastic to see them so interested), two lessons of RE and English with my wonderful low ability Y7 class (they might be level 1 and 2 but they are sooooo keen, and motivated that I feel like crying with pride sometimes with the effort they make) and finally the lesson I was not looking forward to, Y8 bottom set english (two classes joined together due to staff absence and some of the most challenging boys in the year) To my amazement, I only had problem from 2 boys and even one of them turned it round when I told him to move straight on to the extension task as he was obviously 'finding the work a bit easy!' He sat up, looked keen and started to work. The other boy voted with his feet and worked out after 30 minutes when I objected to his silly noises but that was fine, gives him an SLT detention and gave the rest of us a break from him!!
    So all in all, an enjoyable day, very busy and I am shattered but I feel that I really did make a difference to some children today.
    Might treat myself to a gin and tonic soon!!

8. I am in SA. Thanks for the well wishes [​IMG]

9. Three kids is like a dream! I am used to a school with most classes having six or less kids and at my new school the minimum is 25!

10. That would be an amazing day! I am still learning and that seems like an insurmountable goal!