1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A hook for the vikings, anyone done one?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ev11, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hey, hope you are all enjoying the Christmas period. I am just thinking about my viking topic and want something that will hook them in.
    I was thinking of decorating my classroom with bunting (pirate) and having a big treasure chest out with viking bits and bobs in it for children to explore. However I am not quite sure how to link that with the learning and dreaded LO of Who were the vikings for my intro lesson.
    Does it sound ok to let them pick an object and research a part of viking life for the beginning bit? Am needing reassurance.
    Any ideas?x

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I can see the value of researching a Viking artifact but I'm not sure why the pirate bunting
    Could you do a dig and discover the hoard of items

3. I have seen the dig been done before, its just not possible at my school. Pirate bunting is for me really!

4. Msz

I still don't understand the pirate connection

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What age are the class?
    Could you have a number of books/artefacts and the children have to discover what the items have 'in common'. Then you could come up with a list of 'Viking facts'. Children suggest ideas, true and untrue, which you could later unravel e g all vikings wore those horned helmets /travelled in boats etc.
    If the class are older there's a superb book by an author who came to our school and he read out (I think it was chapter 1) of a Viking raid on a village, and th children acted out the story as he read it. Too gruesome for young ones though.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would be a bit careful about teaching children that the Vikings were pirates, they weren't.

A treasure trove, maybe with a time travel aspect could work well.

7. Msz

As a student we did a Viking camp with pupils as young as 4

8. Lara mfl 05

Took me a while to think of the book and author but the book was The Bonebreaker by Peter J Murray and the extract is not too gruesome,though Billy's ancestor's mum is killed,so they would need to be older children.

9. Lara mfl 05

Is the York museum (is it called something like Jorvik) online? There might be a virtual tour.

10. Msz

The Danelaw Centre at Murton Park is excellent if you live near York

11. Hi Ev11

I'm not sure about the Pirate bunting as the Vikings weren't pirates,
    but it's up to you in the end.

I am also starting the Vikings this half term, here is what I plan to do
    to start with a bang! The children will be in groups of 5 or 6 and will move
    around the classroom in a carousel style.

Group 1: Books and information, with Viking scrapbooks for children to
    discover facts and write them down to build up class fact book.

Group 2: Making Viking longships from paper, using template.

Group 3: Digging for Viking artefacts and matching up to descriptions.

Group 4: Investigating and tasting Viking food.

Group 5: Making a Viking bowl from clay, using pictures and artefacts
    for inspiration.

Group 6: Designing Viking coin and using card with tinfoil to make them,
    using pictures and artefacts for inspiration.

I may also take children out in groups and make fruity oatcakes, but I
    may also save that for a later date, as there seems to be a lot going on there!

12. Msz