1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A heartwarming tale of luck and coincidence! (Alternatively known as Orkrider is an idiot)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So, because I'm a complete muppet, this morning in the chaos of getting all the kids ready and out to school, I managed to leave my front door open. You'd think that, seeing as I live in unfriendly, crime-ridden London, and I was not going to be out for most of the day, it was practically a certainty that I'd have come home to find the house ransacked and everything of value taken.

But as luck would have it, my lovely next door neighbour happened to be taking her daughter for a walk at about 9.30 and noticed that my door was ajar. She was kind enough to hang on for a couple of minutes in case it was done on purpose. She eventually knocked and pushed the door to shout into the house then realising I wasn't in, she called the police and was advised not to enter. While waiting for the cops to show up, she decided to knock on the neighbours' doors to see if anyone either had my number or at least knew my surname so that she could try and look me up on facebook. No one had my number, but the guy 3 doors down did know my surname as I'd signed his son's passport photos a few months back. Unfortunately I'm unsearchable on facebook so that didn't help. But by sheer fortunate coincidence, the family over the road happened to have their cousin and her new baby visiting and she recognised my rather unusual surname as being the same as someone she worked with. So she called her colleague on the off chance, and it turns out it's my mother-in-law. M-i-l doesn't have a mobile, but she called her home phone number and got through to my father-in-law, who should have been out fishing but luckily hadn't left yet. He contacted my husband who was able to get me on my mobile.

I got the message at about 10.30 and raced home to find half the neighbourhood standing guard on my driveway. The police turned up about 2 minutes behind me and I can say I've never felt more stupid in my entire life! Not knowing how to rectify things and feeling like a massive dumbo, I resorted to the basic British response of offering to make everyone a cup of tea, which they all politely declined. Luckily everyone thought it was quite funny and reassured me that it could happen to anyone, and no one seemed to mind the fact that they'd wasted half their morning standing about protecting my house from my own stupidity. Extra bonus was that we all swapped numbers and added each other on facebook in case of similar situations in the future.

Now the humiliation is fading, I have to say that the kindness and community spirit in my area really has given me the warm and fuzzies and I'm feeling like one of the luckiest people ever tonight. :)

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

You are one luck person to have such caring folks around you. I bet it gave the boys in blue a bit of a lift too as, usually, they see people at their worst!!

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When my granddaughter was about to arrive , my son and d-I-l set off to the hospital leaving the front door, not ony unlocked, but wide open. We only knew because they forgot the notes and he asked us to collect them.

Twas good though, because it meant we saw the baby minutes after she arrived.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It is lovely to know that you have good neighbours. We are very lucky too. The lady next door is keeping a good eye out for me now I have a broken leg. I didn't hear the dog walker knock earlier in the week. My neighbour saw this and before the dog walker could buzz me on the phone she had the key out and let herself in. She was concerned that I had fallen over. I was just in the kitchen getting some lunch. It is nice to know that people are looking out for you.

5. Joi

Joi New commenter

This reminds me of something that happened to me over 20 years ago. As an exhausted mother of two very young children I didn't notice I'd left the front door wide open when we went to toddler group. I got a message while I was there to go home immediately as a neighbour had noticed the open door, gone into the house, explored upstairs, and reported that the house had been ransacked.

Of course we dashed home and I discovered, no we hadn't been burgled, the house was in its usual very untidy state, especially in my bedroom where my baby daughter had been amusing herself emptying my knicker drawer, and I hadn't bothered to clear up before we went out. I was mortified!

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I once went away for the weekend with the kids and on returning found the front door slightly open - entered rather scared to find nothing untoward. It turned out that on closing the door it had bounced back open slightly - and this is when - having lived in the house for about 5 years - we discovered that the catch on the door was a ball-catch and didn't actually keep the door shut unless you also locked it...... for years I had been carefully 'unlocking' a door that wasn't locked and could have just been pushed open at any time. Needless to say after that I always locked the door on going out instead of just shutting it.