1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A healthier way of drinking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jan 1, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is there a scientifically based opinion on a way of drinking alcohol that minimises the risk to health. i usually drink 12 - 15 units / week but have gone above that in December. Is Dry January actually worth it if i then go back to the previous number of units. Would it be better to cut down the number of units as of now - eg to 9 - 10, and stick to it long term. Anecdotal information may be useful but hard facts would be better.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Dry January doesn't achieve anything unless you are addicted to alcohol and it makes you realise you can't give up.
    12-15 units a week is within guidelines unless you are a teeny tiny person. If you are sure that's what you drink I wouldn't worry. Think about what your liver can process - one unit an hour - and don't put too much stress on it by binge drinking!

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Same volume of lower alcohol. Wine at12% instead of 15%, beer at 4% instead of 5%, usw.

4. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Watch the size of the wine glass. What passes for standard these days is not the size they use when assessing units. But you probably know that.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Happy New Year @lindenlea !
    I did Dry January last year in while also trying to exercise more and eat less; what I found was that by going alcohol free for a month, I got used to it, so when I resumed drinking in February, I automatically drank less than I had previously.

lindenlea likes this.
  6. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

If booze disappeared off the face of the earth it really would not affect me. I will have a social drink although I generally prefer the accompanying food, bites etc.
    Not being smug - just giving my slant.

InkyP likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I haven't had an alcoholic drink for the whole of 2016 so far.

8. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

In areas where people drink red wine in small doses, they live longer than people who don't drink.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Nor I.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Some ideas:

With spirits, intersperse alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic and dilute them with mixers more
    Drink wine spritzers rather than neat wine
    Drink low-alcohol or non-alcoholic wines/beers
    Decide on 2 or 3 alcohol-free evenings
    Don't drink before a decided time each evening
    Don't engage in the 'round' culture, as that exposes you to too much peer pressure - use 'I'm having a non-alcohol evening' or something similar and stick to buying your own
    Drink more slowly - sip and savour rather than keeping up with everyone else
    Make the evening wine/beer/spirits more of a treat than a norm
    Set some time aside to relax/come down from the day before hitting the alcohol - don't use it to relax yourself, but rather once you are relaxed - you will drink less that way
    Don't drink alone
    Drink 'mindfully' - awareness of both taste and effect - again you will drink less
    Get hold of a unit calculator or look online - educate yourself about the units in different drinks
    If you shop online make sure you don't have alcoholic drinks as 'regular items' on your list that go on automatically so that you have to make the decision to buy it
    Alternatively, don't keep alcohol in the house, and if you fancy a drink you will have to make more of an effort to go out and get one or buy a bottle - sometimes you may decide you can't be bothered
    Don't drink to deal with emotional issues or feelings
    Try to be aware of your moods/feelings/time patterns around drinking.

All the above are techniques used in moderating drinking patterns where I work as a counsellor.

lindenlea likes this.
  11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Of course there is also the psychological boost of setting yourself the goal and achieving it...
    @monicabilongame not keeping alcohol in the house is a tricky one just after Christmas: I'm now thinking I should just drink it all so I have an alcohol free house !

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Our wine glasses are tiny old fashioned ones. I hate those massive ones that hold a third of a bottle of wine.
    Anyway - red wine is healthier than other alcohols, if that helps. Sadly it gives me headaches, so I stick to white (no health benefits that I know of. Oh well.)

aspensquiver_2 and lindenlea like this.
  13. PussyGraves

PussyGraves Occasional commenter

15 is top of the scale per week for a woman including 2 alcohol free days. Just do whatever you feel is right for you.

14. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Will they work for cheese as well?

lindenlea likes this.
  15. PussyGraves

PussyGraves Occasional commenter

Our red glasses are great to drink from. They hold over 700 ml (but we don't fill them to the top),

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Nor I but I have added two tablespoons of Pernod to the dinner which I have just put into the oven.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I find drinking while eating celery and rye bread while jogging to be particularly healthy.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@monicabilongame Those are great suggestions and i do already behave in some of those ways. I think increasing the alcohol free days is the only way now and probably going to weekends only. i do think I'm at the high end of what is wise and although it's so much less than i used to drink, making that break from the small glass of wine most evenings as a little treat to look forward to feels like a hard step to take. A glass of slimline tonic is a drink i can sip and enjoy so maybe I'll try that tonight - every journey starts with one step (other motivational cliches are available)

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yeah - well when your my age and friends start getting ill you might give it a try.:mad:

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm the same. I like a G&T but sometimes just have the tonic and lemon. I also like a white wine spritzer which dilutes it.