1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Head speaks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Have just seen on the news a Head boasting that because she has control of her budget she has introduced performance related pay (really?) and because of that control she can hire (and so therefore fire must follow) staff for her school. She proudly reported she had as many support staff as teachers.
    Now.... I might be just being extremely suspicious here ........ but that strikes me she could be boasting here of employing unqualified staff to "teach" those students in her school. Otherwise I think she should be selling and bottling her expertise if she can manage a school's budget where there are the required number of teachers pro rata to pupils there AND the same number of support staff (who just literally support the children)

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Hmmmm!! Interesting!!

(Imagine going on TV and practically announcing she employs unqualified to teach, if I've read the above properly!!)

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

PRP seems a daft thing to claim to have introduced when it was 'introduced' into all state schools courtesy of Gove :confused:.

I saw the same item as you Helen and the same thoughts crossed my mind. A bit of Tory propaganda?

cissy3 likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

oh good grief - have you seen the 'Educator of the Week' slot on the website - it just made me cringe even reading that as the title of it nevermind reading the actual entries :confused::eek::oops:

Maybe just me but eurgh!

thekillers and cissy3 like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

One of the previous winners............................

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

I kid you not!!!

les25paul and cissy3 like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sounds like she's angling for her next job.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Academisation and modern management systems seem to appeal to a 'look at me' mindset.

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

She's just not very intelligent. And obviously isn't aware of the research on performance related pay - not that that matters in this non-profession any more. Just make it up as you go along. No-one cares

Expect to see a lot more of this in the coming years...

delnon, aspensquiver_2 and thekillers like this.
  11. Scintillant

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Renaissance is what they call their Support for Learning/ASN dept. I was looking for a pupil/staff ratio but couldn't find one.

13. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I don't think average joe public has any idea that unqualified people are teaching their kids and that said people can be jumped up, ill-educated dinner ladies like the TAs in my last school.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looks like the schools PR department has been onto TES.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed

cissy3 likes this.
  16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I don't really see the problem..... this HT went onto national TV to tell everyone that she employs as many support staff as teachers. If that isn't undermining the importance of highly qualified staff I don't know what is! Do any of these HTs inform parents how many lessons/time their children have being "supervised" by unqualified staff? I think not. If I had a child in a state school now I would be asking on a weekly basis that very question and I would be plaguing PTAs (do they still exist by the way) and governors with my grave concerns at any time spent with TA/HTA/dinner lady/ general assistant etc that my child had.

cissy3 and wanet like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We weren't being nice and supportive of the wonderful workplace she was creating... we had the temerity to point out how utterly foolish and stupid people like her are with their ongoing efforts to damage the education of a generation...

Seems some people don't like that.

delnon, cissy3 and nomad like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suspect there wouldn't have been a problem if you had posted a link to the media clip rather than choosing to name the individual yourself.

19. Scintillant

Could someone post the clip please?

@HelenREMfan?

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We don't seem to be allowed to post any links about that school.