1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A hard first day back at work.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by alisonhill100, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone
    Not after any advice but just wanted to say I found my first day back at work after having my gorgeous boy really hard today. I've had a really good cry but still feel quite down and am not sure I can do this full time when my hours are increased in a few weeks. I'm just feeling so overwhelmed, everything at school seems to have changed so much and I will be teaching a new Key Stage from September, which I have no confidence in. We're also due Ofsted so all I've had today is Ofsted this Ofsted that and am really scared I will let the school down if I am observed in my new area. As a member of SLT I am feeling the pressure somewhat and my heart just aint in it at the moment.
    Anyway, I'm off to have a glass of wine and a cadbury's cream egg to cheer myself up!

2. I start back in less than a fortnight. I'm dreading it, but thankfully missed OFSTED. Hope things get better for you soon.

3. Hi, firstly I'd say that it does get easier; just think of the first week back in september when you're out of the swing of things but you soon get back into it. Although you're smt, don't be too proud to ask colleagues in the new ks for help and use the resources on tes to ease the work load and give you ideas. Re Ofsted, anyone who has ever read my posts on the matter will know that I think that the whole ofsted thing is a farce. I refuse to get myself worked up and stressed over something that I have such low regard for. Try not to get too worked up about it beforehand (my ht is always fretting about when they'll come, whereas I'll worry about it when we actually do get the call) instead of worrying about it for possibly the next 9 months). X

4. Thank you for the lovely replies, they are much appreciated. I know I'm going to be ok and that I will get used to it. I have some great friends at work who have also been very kind so I know can ask for help if necessary. I'm just getting myself worked up because I left for maternity on a bit of a low when we had our last Ofsted. I'm sure I'll get my old mojo back!
    Thanks again [​IMG]

5. I had 13 months off and I was dreading coming back - I am loving it now! And I have to say I don't feel as tired as I did at home. The time I spend with my daughter is fun - from 4 til 7 it's suing in the park then home, dinner, more playing, books, bath and bed. I don't feel like I'm having to dream up things to do to keep her entertained all day, and she's really happy at nursery. As teachers we can pick our children up earlier than most, and see them in our holidays. Honestly - your non teacher friends will be jealous, mine are!

6. I had 8 months off - hated every minute of it to begin with. Still find it really hard with work load etc (also due ofsted) but it does get easier - I sobbed my socks off for the first few weeks. I enjoy it when I am there but hate not having time with LO on the days I work. I
    I think you learn to work better.. if that makes sense.

7. With my first - I had 6 months off and arrived back....in the middle of an Ofsted inspection ( I wasn't seen though)
    Second time.....I went back after 3 months.....three days later we got the call

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I agree. If I could afford it I wouldn't ever consdier working full time