1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A group put together for my interview...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mcphie58, Dec 9, 2015.

1. mcphie58

mcphie58 New commenter

As part of an upcoming interview I am teaching a mixed Year 3/4 group of about 20 children who are being put together for the purpose of the activity. Obviously they will not be use to working together as a class but any suggestions about how to go about starting the session would be appreciated. I have the main part of the lesson planned - but do I spend a few minutes at the start carrying out a 'getting to know' type activity with the children...or just dive straight in?

Thank you in advance

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview! You have already impressed them.

Frankly, I cannot see what you can do to get 20 children to get to know each other, or you them, in a few minutes.

Start the learning.

Have you found the advice articles in the professional Advice Hub? The ones on preparation for interviews?

If not tag me thus @TheoGriff and ask.

Best wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, so @mcphie58 couldn't manage to tag me, but sent me a PM. However as my contract doesn't allow me to reply privately, I am answering on here.

I have included links that are not relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

Don't forget if you get the job to start a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

This allows people to congratulate you, and gives fresh enthusiasm and hope to other jobseekers. Make sure that you congratulate someone when you see a thread like this - there is one here today!

So to finish I'll say: I'm looking forward to your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes and good luck