1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'A' grade on the mark scheme

Discussion in 'English' started by msv, May 6, 2012.

1. msv

msv New commenter

Hi all,
    really trying to help my students out as much as possible before the big Lit exam.
    Firstly what do you understand by the term 'Explore'?
    Secondly I'm going through the mark scheme myself and I just wanted your opinions/ interpretaions of what you think the mark scheme in the top band means when it says the following:
    <font face="Calibri">6.1 Insightful exploratory response to task</font>
    [/b]
    <font face="Calibri">6.3 Close analysis of detail to support interpretation</font><font face="Calibri">6.4 Evaluation of Shakespeare&rsquo;s uses of language and/ or structure and/ or form and effects on audience</font> <font face="Calibri">6.5 Convincing/ imaginative interpretations of ideas/themes</font> [/b]
    [/b]

2. msv

msv New commenter

Even better, anyone have a student friendly version of the markscheme?
    It's Unit 4 Literature (AQA) Shakespeare and the English Heritage

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

While I agree that they are difficult terms to define, students must be aware of what they have to do by now from your annotations when you mark their work. Can you not use examples from their books to show them what you see as an 'explanation' and what they have to do to make it 'exploration'? I find A/B students are fine with the mark scheme because they can see what they have to do from our marking. The ones I struggle with are the C/D borderline students who think that every comment on a detail is an explanation, even if they're only repeating an earlier point in different words. We don't use 'student friendly' language but annotate from the mark scheme. That way, they can see what matches up to the criteria.

4. Offer alternative and/or original personal interpretations of a text, with evidence and detailed explanation is what I think "explore" means, and I've marked GCSE for two decades