1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A good world war II novel for year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by angharadbeynon, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good World War II novel that I could use for my class this term. I have thought of Carries War but I am not sure. Does anyone have any tried and tested good novels that they know children will love?

2. Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good World War II novel that I could use for my class this term. I have thought of Carries War but I am not sure. Does anyone have any tried and tested good novels that they know children will love?

3. Waiting For Anya by Michael Morpurgo

4. When the siren wailed by Noel Streatfeild

5. We're doing Goodnight Mt Tom and the Silver Sword - both brilliant
    We're also looking in Guided Reading at...
    Rose Blanche by Roberto Innocenti + Ian McEwan
    Robert Westall's Blitz
    Tom's Private War by Robert Leeson
    War Games - Terry Deary
    Dear Mum I miss You - Stewart Ross
    Blitz Boys - Linda Newbery
    Blitz Baby - Theresa Tomlinson
    Diary of a World War 2 pilot - Dennis Hamley

I've just started reading Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig - to see if that is any good for my more able readers
    Hope this helps
    dazza d

6. Thanks for your quick reply! I shall look up the second, have planned a Micheal Morpugo novel for the second term! Thank you

7. Also thanks dazza d I shall look some of yours up too!

8. Silver Sword is brilliant! I think somebody has posted a powerpoint in resource banks too. There is a thread somewhere on here!
    Michael Morpurgo is great too though! Hard choice!

9. I'd add Robert Westall's 'The Machine Gunners' to the list
    My personal favourite though, having done this topic a few times is definitely 'Blitzed' by Robert Swindells. The key point with this book is that it starts out in present day and then has a 'time slip' back to WW2 - this means there's a real connection and the children seem to relate to the main character much more easily, as he has their 'modern' attitudes / experiences and we see the wartime events through his eyes.
    It's quite an easy read compared to some of the others mentioned - nice short chapters.

10. An Angel For May - -not sure of the author. It's also a film. Boy travels back to WW2 and helps a girl called May who has been evacuated. He then meets her again in his world when she is an old lady. V good and the children were gripped.

11. Carrie's War by Nina Bawden - lovely story about evacuation.

When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit, Judith Kerr - not read it yet, but from a German girl's viewpoint who's father was wanted by the Nazis.

12. BunmbleBee

BunmbleBee New commenter

I know the whole book is too much, but to set the scene, maybe with dvd, The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe.x

13. Friend or Foe by Michael Morpurgo.
    Also some stories set in the fifties by George Layton, eg. The Trick, The Fib, The Swap.

14. When Hitler stole pink rabbit is a good read from a different war view point and also from a child's view point. The Lion and the Unicorn would be an alternative for lower ability.

15. Would recommend Machine Gunners- very descriptive and vivid. Sets the scene perfectly.

16. I have read 'When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' this holiday in preparation for my Year 5 class. Really liked it, will def. be using it.

When doing GTP my mentor chose to use Adolphus Tips by Michael Morpurgo, (with Yr4), there seem to be a few on this list by him already :)

17. roobee95

roobee95 New commenter

Once by Morris Gleitzmann. SImple to read but totally affecting. Just spent half a term doing this (with Y5/6) and resulted in amazing writing and drama work. The class absolutely loved it.

18. Friend or Foe by Michael Morpurrgo- incredible have been using this for last three weeks my y6 class are hooked and the writing from it is incredible - their enthusiasm is exceptional and it's a great length! The Mozart question is also brilliant for introducing The Holocaust- moving but so well written.

19. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

Me too, Friend or Foe has been a great class book. It really made the children see that 'the enemy' isnt always who they oroginally thought, and in this case helped them to seperate the german people from the ruling Nazi party.
    I enjoyed it too.