1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A good resume for overseas posts

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by KIH1961, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I am hoping to re-locate to Spain with my partner who has his own business and works from home and two kids. As an MFL teacher in my late 40's I realise chances of a job in that field are not high as I'm not a native speaker but have TEFL (although no actual experience with it to date) and hope to get some work with that however have only ever had to fill in application forms and want to type up a good resume to send to prospective employers before I get there - any ideas please?? Length? how much information to give? layout? etc
    Also has anyone information on the regions of Alicante/Valencia/Costa del Sol - are International Schools ok in general re discipline as wouldn't want my kids (about to go to secondary) to go through the mayhem I have had to put up with over the past eight years. Plus any info on these areas of any sort would be great thanks.
    Much appreciated.

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I have worked at 3 different schools on the Costa del Sol, one of which went bust.
    I have applied to several schools here and have heard nothing back from some. I think it may have to do with having kids, although mine are only 2 and 6.
    I was even asked if I was interested in applying for a job at one school I had worked at previously only to have the offer retracted after I asked about a place for my elder daughter!
    Perhaps though if your children are older they may be of more interest to the school in terms of school results etc. I hope you have more luck than me!
    In terms of CV no more than 2 pages, I think microsoft word do CV templates where you fill in the info on education and work experience etc.

3. Thanks MissMunchie will check microsoft for templates. My kids are 11 and 9 but have heard an be difficult to get job and free places. Good luck with the job hunt.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I would not advise using the MS templates as your CV ought to have the "personal touch" and it should, ideally, be tailored to fit the school to which you are applying. If you use the MS templates, then there is a fair chance that your CV will look too much like everyone else's. American spelling is fine if you are applying for an international school, but may not be so acceptable if you are applying for a post at a British school.
    Schools in Spain have a reputation for paying poorly. Good luck!

5. Hi KIH1961,
    As 'thehippo' rightly says pay here in Spain is low...and the cost of living has gone up - and it's still going up. My husband & I are one of the many families that have decided to leave as we can no longer afford to live here. He is a head of department in a British school. I also have TEFL and apart from a few private classes it has proven useless to me as Language schools are generally quite 'dodgy' (if you get a contract at all it may well be illegal!) and the pay a joke....
    I can tell you about a school in Alicante, however, they only ever employ native speakers for MFL.
    I am sure you will, but please double check that you can make it out here financially (there is no such thing as Child Benefit/Tax credits etc... trust me I know! I have three children and get nada! ) and things like food & clothes are practically the same as in the UK, only the salaries are much lower. As I said earlier, I have seen so many people & families come & go...
    Take care & good luck, [​IMG]

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I live in inland Andalucía. The costas are more expensive. I don't dispute most of the above except to mention that our electricity bills (three recep, study, three bedrooms) average 60 euros a month. I fill the tank of my Fusion with diesel for 40 euros and very palatable wine (carefully selected) costs 1.25 euros a bottle. Our cooking/ water heating (gas) bills are minimal and we heat the house with wood burning stoves and have our own supply of leña. Our water rates and local taxes (community charge) are about 200 euros a year. In contrast, phone line rental is expensive and 29 euros a month for broadband is exorbitant. The local health system is superb.
    Mrs M does a bit of private EFL and experience proves that if we wanted to (we don't) we could fill the whole week with English teaching.
    We own the old cortijo outright and admittedly we no longer have to worry (much!) about supporting our offspring, but judging by our sons' experience in UK, it's still marginally cheaper to live here.
    A lot of folk, both working and retired, are going back to the UK. Sometimes it's due to genuine and serious hardship. Sometimes it's nervousness (and we don't knock it) generated by the worldwide recession. We love Spain, have good Spanish friends, and even if we were young things we'd still consider giving it a go.

7. Thanks for advice hippo will take it on board

8. Thanks indoubt 74 guessed about the native speakers and you're right about finances will consider very carefully before making final decision.

9. Thanks for info Mainwearing its encouraging to hear you have had a positive experience and would consider doing it all over again. Cheers.

10. 3 options with a CV
    1) Write one from scratch - you will need Word skills.
    2) Use a template - you will still need some Word skills.
    3) Use a online CV writer - no technical skills required.
    Which ever option you take make sure you look around at the various styles and formats and work out which one is suitable for the recruiter.