1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Good Read?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

@SEBREGIS, Langbein was a prisoner functionary in Auschwitz and part of the underground. His role as clerk to the chief physician allowed him to write detailed notes and to store them as well as copying official documents. The book looks at every category of people in Auschwitz, guards as well as prisoners with lots of quotations from fellow prisoners. It’s a hefty, scrupulously academic and very important book.

1 person likes this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Excellent !

3. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham
    Don’t be put off by the title

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

L'Assommoir, Therese Raquin; the Leonard Cohen of writing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Not at all - just seen it on Amazon and it sounds intriguing. A similar title is 'The Seamstress' by Maria Duenas, set in Spain during the Civil and World War 2 era.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've been reading some slightly odd but good thrillers by William Shaw. One series is set in and around Dungeness. The other series is set in 1960s ondon [Breen and Tozer]

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I don't read these kind of books myself, but I know my wife (who does) is very much enjoying books by Lucinda Riley. I've just bought her the Seven Sisters series for her birthday.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The List of Seven by Mark Frost is a fun adventure in the style of Sherlock Holmes, if that's up anyone's street. Another old favourite I go back to now and then. It was first published in the late 80s and was one of the first contemporary novels to tip a wink to Victoriana and the Industrial Revolution ( there's loads of films, books and tv series who "go there" now - Ripper Street, Penny Dreadful The limehouse Golem etc not to mention Steampunk culture and fashion) with references to Jack the Ripper, Dracula, Madame Bravatsky and the craze for spiritualism that was so popular in those days. Really good fun.

9. BertieBassett2

That reminds me of this 'Holmesesque' novel: Arrowood by Mick Finlay. It's kind of a poor man's Holmes - a good, if undemanding, read.

coffeekid likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The Seven Percent Solution is good too.

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I'm surprised no one's recommended Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel - both won the Booker Prize. A lot of us are waiting on tenterhooks to find out what happens to Thomas Cromwell in the end when the third in the trilogy comes out (The Mirror and the Light) next March. I suspect it won't go well with him!

Some favourites of mine: My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell, The Alteration by Kingsley Amis; Travels in Nihilon by Alan Sillitoe, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and of course George Orwell's 1984.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh yes - Wolf Hall is great. @MAGAorMIGA - my husband is reading our nine year old the Dark Materials books at bed time. She's into it.

mothorchid likes this.
  14. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I'm also counting the days until The Mirror and the Light comes out!

Another excellent recent read was The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton.

15. BertieBassett2

Just to resurrect this thread - I've read and enjoyed The Gustav Sonata and have almost finished The Road Home - which I really like. I would urge you to go back to it - I love Lev's character, with all his flaws! Another trip to the charity shop this morning yielded Music and Silence, which I snapped up!

smoothnewt likes this.
  16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am working through Anthony Quinn novels. Just loved, loved, loved ‘Curtain Call’ and ‘Half of the Human Race ‘ - the writing is phenomenal

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Lucky nizeman is reading Middlemarch for the first time.

Nizeman waves helio.

mothorchid and BertieBassett2 like this.
  18. BertieBassett2

*Waves back*
    Middlemarch was one of my favourite novels, back in the day. I'm not one to re-read books, though, but never say never!

19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've just reread a Thomas Perry thriller. Wonderful. Nizeman is embaeking on Middlemarch after he finishes the seriouslyo less than gripping Mabinogion..

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Glad to hear those suggestions have gone down well! Yes, I will persevere with The Road Home; I’ll probably start it again from the beginning.

I was delighted to come across Eden Close by Anita Shreve in the charity shop last week as I adore her writing and this was her first novel and one of the few I haven’t read.

I’ve also recently read The Wonder by Emma Donoghue, which was a good story.