1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Good Read?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Jun 24, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Well, @smoothnewt, I found The Gustav Sonata whilst trawling through my local charity shops this morning! So I snapped it up, together with The Road Home. How fortuitous that I found the first of the books recommended on my thread!

sodalime, colpee and smoothnewt like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

Thanks for all the recommendations! Certainly food for thought. Maybe, a bit self-indulgent of me, I could list some of my favourites?
    A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith - a sensitive tale of growing up in New York at the turn of the Century (20th, that is!)
    A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles - a beautifully written story of post Revolution Russia.
    The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed out of the Window by Jonas Jonasson- a lovely portrayal of old age.
    Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty - deeper than you might think, as it covers domestic violence.
    Victoria Hislop's novels are worthy, especially The Thread.
    The Shardlake novels by CJ Sansom.
    I could go on...

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’ve not read Big Little Lies but loved the TV serialisation and am currently enjoying season 2 with the welcome addition of Meryl Streep as Perry’s mother.
    I recently read Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty by found it strangely unsatisfying. I’d certainly give her other novels the time of day, however.

4. smoothnewt

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with The Road Home as it is the one novel by Rose Tremain that I didn’t actually finish.
    My copy is also a charity shop purchase which is sitting on my bookshelves waiting for me to pick it up again. I certainly have not written it off.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  5. BertieBassett2

Yes, it has had mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it! The Husband's Secret is another good one of hers.

smoothnewt likes this.
  6. Odo

Odo New commenter

I've been reading my way through this series as fast as I can find them in the local library. Great fun and a bit different. Recommended to me by a work colleague.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Amor Towles is sublime. Hate Hislop and Moriarty though - you can’t win them all.;):)

Anthony Horowitz ?! ...

8. smoothnewt

I think the Amor Towles "A Gentleman In Moscow" might have suited me more as an audio-book. it meanders too much for my liking and lacks pace - yet I suspect I'd be quite happy to sit and listen to the meanderings.
    It's another of the books I have not quite found the oomph to finish reading.

9. BertieBassett2

Am I the only one who can't listen to a book?! I would be wearing headphones, doing chores and generally 'getting on', rather than actively taking in the text whilst actually reading. Also, I want to hear my own voice rather than someone else's. After presenting 84, Charing Cross Road to my Book Club, the newest member decided to play us an extract from the audio version and the voice (I think it was Joely Richardson) didn't fit my impression of the author and spoiled it for me. Maybe I'm being precious, but a third party shouldn't come between the reader and book!

sodalime likes this.
  10. fraisier

fraisier Senior commenter

A little bird told me that you were a romantic at heart Bertie so here a top top Mills & Boon recommendation for you (cover looks a bit tatty but it's actually a new title just hot off the press, you won't have read it - oodles of steamy passion, lashings of drama, thrills and spills with the neighbours and heart-stopping romance I am reliably told):

[​IMG]

minnie me, blue451, sodalime and 3 others like this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I love talking books when driving. A good narrator can do all the voices and accents, (so much better than me),

coffeekid likes this.
  13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I listen to audio books too, in the car but also at home. I like being read to in the evening ( I use an iPod to avoid the headphones issue) .
    But they have to be certain types of book ( especially when driving) ie ‘easy listening’ ones. To that end ive read/listened to The chronicles of St. Marys and a couple of Liane Moriarty - I gave up on Truly Madly Guilty, though.
    Serious books or non fiction don’t work for me in audio. Regarding narrator, I find a good narrator isn’t noticeable as ‘someone else’s voice.’, they just blend into my visualisation of the story .

I’m into detective stories atm so for anyone else into this genre - I’m just discovering Michele Giutari - set in Tuscany

14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Two modern Great American Novels.
    E. Annie Proulx: 'Postcards'
    Jane Smiley: 'Moo'

sodalime likes this.
  15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I think Sherlock Holmes is out of copyright now which is why any idiot can ****** about with it. Others are good authors who have been selected by the estate of the creator, and asked to produce something to continue the series, I think that’s the case with Bond. That’s better, but - dunno. I kind of think the character should be buried with their creator.

I find this whole thing easier because I review books for a magazine and they just send me a box of stuff each couple of months. And I am also a 5th dan black belt in the art of Tsundoku, so I’m never short of stuff to read. One day my pile of unread books will collapse and I shall be buried under it, like Tutankhamen. Or I’ll set fire to it and go out like a Viking, taking half of my local town with me.

sodalime likes this.
  16. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Another vote here for The Chronicles of St Mary’s series. Ditto Louise Penny. I enjoyed Kathy Reichs’s books until she gave up smoking about book 5 and her main character became very boring.

Recommendations:
    The Ladies of Letters series + the taped versions
    The Simon Serrallier series by Susan Hill
    The Amelia Peabody seriesby Elizabeth Peters - feisty Victorian female archaeologist and her adventures
    The Qunincunx by Charles Palliser - now on Kindle, thank goodness, as I gave myself a black eye when reading the hard copy in bed and falling asleep

Is This a Woman by Sarah Helm about Ravensbruck
    People in Auschwitz by Herman Langbein
    These last two are fascinating but difficult in places even though both authors remain dispassionate.

1 person likes this.
  17. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Interesting. What’s the Langbein book about, beyond th obvious?

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I must be a ****** then! I have published a Sherlock Holmes book, which was why I did the research, and understand the stuff about copyright. I wrote a spy novel too, which should have been a certain B, JB but bumped up against the copyright. The post-Fleming JB novels are mostly pants, I have read several of them, even the ones by supposedly "good" authors. You have me hoping for the collapse.

19. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

That's how i feel too.

20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

After loving all the CJ Samson books i have started on the books by S.W Perry - The Angels' Mark and The Serpent's Mark

Yes, and very funny too. The author went a bit nuts in the third book though.
    If you like crime with a strong dose of humour I recommend Caimh McDonnell and all of his books. Start off with the Dublin Trilogy.
    Tana French is another excellent Irish crime author.