1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Good Read?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Jun 24, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I know I should be posting this in the 'Book Club' forum, but this gets more traffic! Can anyone recommend a good book, as I seem to be running out of ideas and the Book Club I attend is full of offerings which get awful reviews. (I have previously read all the books suggested but after a few horrors would rather not waste my time.) Thanks in advance!

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain. In fact anything by her, especially Music and Silence.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I recently read The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig: bleakish - but absorbing.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  4. BertieBassett2

Thank you @smoothnewt - not an author I've read but both suggestions sound interesting!
    The Post Office Girl appeals as well! You obviously like WW2 stories!

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

What sort of things do you like, @BertieBassett2 ? Or is it just general suggestions you're looking for?

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love book threads, btw. I'll be dropping by to see what everyone's recommended!

7. BertieBassett2

Thanks, @coffeekid, I like a good story with appealing characters, I suppose. However, I don't want to be saddened too much (which is why I decided against Never Let Me Go and The Wasp Factory - the two recent Book Club titles.) I also like crime, especially Jeffrey Deaver, but I've read all of his!

coffeekid likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This was going to be my question, as whether you like history / biography / sci-fi / detective fiction rather affects our recommendations.

coffeekid and BertieBassett2 like this.
  9. BertieBassett2

Since attending my Book Club, I have been more open to ideas and genres, so am willing to give anything a go really!

coffeekid likes this.
  10. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I just finished reading The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier which I can recommend. It’s set among the Quaker community during the abolition of slavery

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

‘Don’t Go There’ by Adam Fletcher - travelogue witty and I learnt a lot too.

Philip Kerr’s Bernie Gunther novels - sublime .....

I recently re read Clive James ‘Unreliable Memoirs ‘ on a beach ( actually a tome signed by him of first three autobiographies - Falling Towards England plus May Week Was In June ) ....it is my comfort trilogy and I take on holiday in my hand luggage ( - could not bare to lose in luggage going astray ) . Never fails to make me laugh - even after all this time .... so so special.

The only thing ( seriously ) which still has the capacity to ‘wow’ me is reading ....

12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
    Excellent book
    If you like crime have you read the Tess Gerritsen books? Autopsy type stuff

13. BertieBassett2

No, I haven't but thanks for the recommendation.

langteacher likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm presently reading House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski...

It is one of the maddest, mind bending books I've ever read... it plays with the very concept of structure and narrative form. I sat for two hours in the car on Saturday, reading it.... enthralling and disturbing. I had to keep checking the world was still as I left it.

15. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Take Nothing With You, by Patrick Gale. Funny, sad and eventually uplifting. In fact, I would recommend anything by Patrick Gale.

16. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

One of the best books I’ve read lately is The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne. Upsetting in parts and funny in others. It went down very well at my book group

17. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Anything by Jeffrey Deaver, if you like detective stories.

18. BertieBassett2

Yes - I've read them all!

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Anything by Kate Atkinson. Behind the Scenes at the Museum or Case History which is the first book in the Jackson Brodie series.

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

After reading 2 or 3 of the Inspector Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri (translated from Italian) I would have recommended them. However, after reading about 12 they got a bit samey and silly when he starts having weird dreams.

Laphroig and BertieBassett2 like this.