1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A good present for someone with a broken leg?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by veni_vidi, Jan 12, 2012.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello, my mother (65) broke her leg on New Years Day, and has had an operation. She's just come home, and we're having a little birthday party for her this weekend and i've been thinking what i could get her that would be useful and practical.
    I've been thinking maybe a bean bag/big cushion (she had a similar thing in the hospital). She got loads of art stuff for xmas, so i could just get her books. (price range £20-£50).
    Was just wondering if anyone has been out of action for a few months, what would you have appreciated?
    Thanks!

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello, my mother (65) broke her leg on New Years Day, and has had an operation. She's just come home, and we're having a little birthday party for her this weekend and i've been thinking what i could get her that would be useful and practical.
    I've been thinking maybe a bean bag/big cushion (she had a similar thing in the hospital). She got loads of art stuff for xmas, so i could just get her books. (price range £20-£50).
    Was just wondering if anyone has been out of action for a few months, what would you have appreciated?
    Thanks!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have very much appreciated friends bringing over M&S microwaveable meals or bags of delicious bits and pieces from Waitrose. I have also been delighted with books from Amazon dropping through the letter box. Another thing that was very welcome was some moisturising cream as my skin got very dry in hospital and while I was recuperating at home. I have also enjoyed having slippers for the first time in my life. I hope your mother is soon up and about.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The beanbag sounds nice - I have one and love it!
    Maybe something arty for her to do? A cross-stittch kit? Some wool and a kneedles/crochet hook?...or if she has access to a Ninentod DS , the Art Acasemy pack.
    Some puzzle books and pens?
    And one item that is practical but really useful is from Lakeland - their one-cup water boiler. It can be set up on a small table beside her chair and it boils exactly one cup of water - and dispenses it into the waiting cup/mug. Perfect for coffee/tea/chocolate or soup and it also percolates cofffee and can use those coffee pod thingummybobs.....no need to try and carry hot drinks from kitchen to lounge....and it is something that she can continue to use once her leg is mended.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or have one foot done twice!

6. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

Something long and thin with which she can scratch itchy, impossible-to-reach areas.

7. When I was out of action I appreciated 'pampery' things, like really nice moisturisers and the like. When you can't get out and about it can affect your skin and having some nice potions and lotions is a treat.
    [​IMG]

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I'd get her a big dog and a strong lead to help her get mobile again.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Like a knitting needle. You could give her a pair with some wool and a pattern so it serves a dual purpose.

10. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Thanks again, i'll be putting together a little survival bag with some of these suggestions in.
    (Not the big dog though ;-)
    [​IMG]

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Just don't get her a telescope...it won't end well.

12. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

ha, i don't know what you mean crowbob.