1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Good NQT experience

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by martini44, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Just felt like posting a positive note on NQT experiences.
    I am thankful that my school follow all the guidelines for my induction and for the excellent training and induction I have experienced so far.
    I am grateful for the positive experience of my observations - they are done in the way I would expect them to be - as a means to show me what I am doing well and what I can work on to improve. There is no feeling of 'failure' or pressure, just the desire to keep learning and improving.
    I can't say thank you enough to my mentor - always will make time for me however silly the question. They laugh with me and help me keep the not-so-good days in perspective.
    Thanks for the people that are responsible for timetabling and cover - I have always had my allocated NQT time and will only be used for cover etc. when I lose some Y11 classes (fair enough). This means I have been able to observe and learn from other experieced teachers and use the extra time wisely for focussed improvement.
    Thanks to those experienced teacher for letting me loiter in the back of their class, and picking their brains.
    To those that have not had the sort of NQT experience they deserve, I truly feel for you - it is stressful enough when things are done properly!!

This is exactly why the move to training being more in schools needs to be considered more carefully. Some schools (like mine) are excellent at it and provide quality training and experiences. Some, as the posts on this and the student forum show, as clearly not even adhering to there legal obligations.

2. Just felt like posting a positive note on NQT experiences.
    I am thankful that my school follow all the guidelines for my induction and for the excellent training and induction I have experienced so far.
    I am grateful for the positive experience of my observations - they are done in the way I would expect them to be - as a means to show me what I am doing well and what I can work on to improve. There is no feeling of 'failure' or pressure, just the desire to keep learning and improving.
    I can't say thank you enough to my mentor - always will make time for me however silly the question. They laugh with me and help me keep the not-so-good days in perspective.
    Thanks for the people that are responsible for timetabling and cover - I have always had my allocated NQT time and will only be used for cover etc. when I lose some Y11 classes (fair enough). This means I have been able to observe and learn from other experieced teachers and use the extra time wisely for focussed improvement.
    Thanks to those experienced teacher for letting me loiter in the back of their class, and picking their brains.
    To those that have not had the sort of NQT experience they deserve, I truly feel for you - it is stressful enough when things are done properly!!

This is exactly why the move to training being more in schools needs to be considered more carefully. Some schools (like mine) are excellent at it and provide quality training and experiences. Some, as the posts on this and the student forum show, as clearly not even adhering to there legal obligations.

3. It's good to hear from another NQT having a positive experience. My school is exactly the same - great mentoring - very helpful, constructively critical, supportive colleagues, training etc. I have heard about some really terrible experiences from other NQTs - and unsurprisingly some of them are already considering leaving teaching, which is rather sad, especially considering the amount of time, effort and financial commitment that's gone into gaining the qualification. Maybe the whole NQT process needs to be a bit more two-way? It seems to be a pretty one-sided process for many, at the mercy of tyrannical Heads and couldn't-care-less mentors.