1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a good novel for Year 8

Discussion in 'English' started by molly86, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm looking at using a new novel with top/middle ability set Year 8.
    Maybe something girtty (noughts and crosses), topical or historical. We do usse boy in the striped pajamas, refugee boy etc.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

2. Hi all,
    I'm looking at using a new novel with top/middle ability set Year 8.
    Maybe something girtty (noughts and crosses), topical or historical. We do usse boy in the striped pajamas, refugee boy etc.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. We teach the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and that works well. Robert Muchamore's The Recruit is also really popular although we do that with year nine due to the subject nature.

5. I've been doing Gothic Short stories with some success. they love Poe!

6. Can't go wrong with Buddy (Nigel Hinton). It's old school but that actually works in our favour as you can use it as a historical text " how life was in the 80s" especially when you look at their lack of gadgets and racial attitudes. I don't know a class that hasn't LOVED doing Buddy.

7. The Other Side of Truth - Naidoo. I love this book, it's so well-written and topical (refugees).
    I also love Holes - my last school used this novel.

8. Try "The Merrybegot" by Julie Hearn. Set in Stuart England, it's got witches and real magic. It links to "The Crucible", if you want; also would be good for work on cross-generation relationships, sibling rivalry, use of narrative voice, work on prejudice and mobs.

It's got a happy ending, by the way; nobody gets burned at the stake. I enjoyed it.

9. jd1

jd1

'Raider' by Susan Gates is a good text: it's meaty and interesting to both boys & girls alike. It's a good text to stretch reading skills.

10. I have heard of a school teaching 'Lord of the Flies' in year 8. A vastly different approach to that of GCSE classes, no doubt!
    I have to say, though, I studied Treasure Island when I was in Y8...I would love to teach this at KS3...[​IMG]

11. seconded! I'd also love to teach some jules verne or HG Wells...