1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A good kind of job seeking dilemma - how best to handle?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by caitien, Jan 30, 2016.

1. caitien

caitien New commenter

I am not 100% sure if this should be in Careers Advice or Job Seekers, as I guess it is a bit of both.

I am currently doing a Maternity Cover post in a very good school, contract fixed until Aug 2016.
    Because I was expecting to be out of a job by Sep, I have been looking and applied to a job elsewhere, for which I have an interview very shortly.

When my school realised I was applying, they have expressed interest in keeping me, although this has only been verbally so far, but they really seemed like they meant it, and I have reason to trust them. It is seeming likely that the colleague on maternity may not be returning, and even if she does, as I am interested (and possibly capable, not sure about that yet!) in teaching other aspects of the curriculum, they say it is very likely they can 'create' a job for me. It will however take some time, waiting until they have a better idea of option choices and other staff's wishes, until they can be clear about exactly what this job/timetable might look like.

I am now a little conflicted - the job I have an interview for appeals to me on many levels, but there are one or two small aspects (commuting time, lack of a certain age group) that might not be quite perfect. Staying at my current school also appeals hugely, although there are again small niggles, I love the students and feel very confident about my teaching here.

My question is really this - is it poor form/unwise to attend an interview if you are not 100% sure you would take the job if offered? Is it OK to make up your mind on the day? At time of application, I was completely, genuinely wanting the job, but now my situation might have changed. I now have the option to stay in my current job. So it would come down, on the day, to whether I do really like the school, how it fits with my ethos and goals etc.

In the past, I've always been asked 'Would you accept the job if we offered it you?'. The interview if the last part of the day, so I wonder if it would be acceptable to teach my lesson, take the tour, meet the department, and then if I don't think it is a better fit for me than my current school, withdraw before the interview? If I decide I would take the job, I would of course continue to interview. Is that an acceptable thing to do, or will they think I've completely wasted their time? It is a school that I wouldn't want to be blacklisted from in the future!

Sorry for the long post, I am just really not used to having options - job seeking last year was very much about securing any post as I was going into my NQT year...now having potential options makes it nicer, but harder in a way!

Many thanks
    c

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to make up your mind on the day you're interviewed, so long as you don't accept the post and then withdraw subsequently.

People do withdraw during the day of interviews.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I withdrew from an interview part way through the process, when it became apparent that the ethos of the school was not one that would fit with me.

I told them of my reservations, they asked me to reconsider and I decided to go. It would never have worked!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is fine to decide not to continue.

In fact, I would prefer you to withdraw on the day before the interview, rather than wasting your time going through the motions if you have decided that your heart isn't in it!

Now for a bit of advice . . .

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

As long as the school is right for you, of course!

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Ms Independant

Ms Independant New commenter

I have been offered an interview at a school that I am withdrawing from before the interview.

This is not a reflection of the school, but with the commute time and the fact that I have found a job I am much more interested in applying for, closer to home, with a closing date much later. I know that I would refuse the job, if offered, so do not want to waste their time in going through an interview process for a job I have now decided against.

That way, I am giving someone else a chance.

As an aside, there are so many jobs out there at the moment, even for a September start! I have never seen so many vacancies come up, so early in the year, for September.I currently work at an Independent School, so have to hand in a terms notice, which has usually been a sticking point as jobs don't usually come up until after May. This year it is completely different!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if you are no longer interested, withdraw. You have done the right thing there, @Ms Independant .

Don't waste your time, and the school's time, by going to interview Just for the practice. :(

But it's also a good idea to work out your travel times before applying, as you could save yourself a busy weekend if you realise beforehand that it would be too much of a drag! :)

Good luck with the applications, @Ms Independant , have you found the applications advice? Tag me @TheoGriff if not.

Best wishes