1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Good Idea? Or simply bonkers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Pupils at £11,000-a-year private school are banned from using TVs, smartphones and iPads even when they're at HOME in strict 'no-tech' clampdown
    • London Acorn School prohibits all smartphones, computers and iPads
    • Staff hope that by doing so children will learn from the natural world instead
    • The school, for pupils aged 3 to 18, has also banned television for under-12s
    • Teachers say rules are in response to parents tired of their children being immersed in technology

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ones-iPads-HOME-strict-no-tech-clampdown.html

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I work in an independent school. Our main competitor recently introduced an initiative where every student has to have an iPad. Most of the parents I spoke to hated the idea. These devices are more of a distraction than an enhancement in many cases. As a maths teacher I see benefits for some basic skills practice but pupils must be able to write down solutions. Over reliance on IT detracts from that.
    I would have some concerns about these pupils not being confident with IT when they leave but most equipment is becoming more user friendly. I doubt it would disadvantage them for long.

3. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Ridiculous. That is, it's ridiculous that the school has to intervene. It's up to the parents to ensure their children aren't immersed in technology. Tough if they find it hard to limit telly, smartphones etc....it's your job!

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Surely schools should teach pupils appropriate use of IT. As for banning TV - I love TV and it has most definitely enhanced my cultural life as well as giving me huge pleasure. I wouldn't have visited the Peloponese had i not seen Bettany Hughes whizzing along those windy roads in her 4x4 and come to think of it, it was her programme on Byzantium that led us to Ravenna. Then there is the news - events and journalists that spring to mind are the moon landing, Brian Hanrahan's reports, Michael Burke's reports, Kate Adie, Caroline Hawley, Lise Ducette (sp?).
    This is throwing the baby out with the bathwater in a big way.
    I wonder if radio is allowed - it seems to be.

FolkFan and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Bonkers. Guide parents and pupils. Or just parents to damned well grow up and just exercise a bit of discipline.

If the parents are (final bullet point) keen on removing devices then let them do so.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My granddaughter has just started secondary school and the school has established use of tablets throughout the curriculum. It has been their practice for several years now and I believe that the students can hire the tablet over the course of their school career. It must cover insurance, I would have thought, as I don't see a longevity in the tablets otherwise.

She hasn't been there long enough for me to make a judgement, but the school must feel that it works, as it is established.

So, opposite ends of the spectrum- who's right or wrong? The genie is out of the bag though, isn't it and it's unrealistic to expect it to go back in. This technology is just part of everyday life now and it's foolish to ignore that.

7. grumpydogwoman

Well, I wouldn't be where I am today without google or Wikipedia.

You just have to regard it like **** mags and playground fighting. **** isn't acceptable in schools and neither is bullying. All these devices are mere tools. Use them for good or ill. Like a car!

And, as ever, the teachers will be expected to sort it out. Like sex education. Parents can't bring themselves/be bothered to do it so it's another school subject. Same for "Safe IT".

8. grumpydogwoman

Oh, good grief. P o r n and b u l l y I n g.

ilovesooty and foxtail3 like this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This thread brought back a memory of when I was teaching in my first school, back in the early 80s. A Head of Year was telling me about the previous night's parents' evening, when one parent had complained to him that the reason her son wasn't doing his homework was that he was always watching TV (the heady days of only THREE channels, too!). She went on for some time about how difficult she found it, school sending notes home in his diary about his not doing homework, etc.

My colleague let her finish and then said "Switch. The. Television. Off." Apparently she was open-mouthed at the suggestion.

PS I remain totally and entirely unconvinced that giving children tablets in the classroom will improve learning.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Reminds me of a meeting with parents a few years ago, whose son was always tired in school. They thought it was because he was up all night in his room on the computer and TV.

I suggested they remove them. The response? "Oh, we didn't think of that..." o_O

cosmosinfrance likes this.
  11. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

There is not a scrap of evidence that the use of electronic devices improves teaching or learning. It's just a bandwagon, a tick-box on an SLT PM sheet. They've been trying to introduce it at my school but the parents won't bite, not because they can't afford it but because they think their kids do enough electronic activity already.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I ask all my classes to turn off their phones, however in certain lessons I allow them to use phones for research or translation (EFL) if necessary.

13. grumpydogwoman

Personal 'phones I would not tolerate. I might just accept school-approved tablets but research should more likely be done as homework. Not a good use of lesson-time, is it?

"I want you to look up x, y, z." Lesson-time is valuable and I wouldn't look kindly upon research UNLESS that was the specific skill I was teaching.

14. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I wonder how the school will enforce this ban?

But yes, TV and technology allowance should be issued by the parents - limit it, if it is too much.

ilovesooty likes this.
  15. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

I think a balance needs to be found.

I don't see how a school can enforce a TV ban out of school for the under 12s?

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I too, am sceptical of the value of tablets in school. I don't have the evidence to make a judgement one way or the other. What about the IT component in the curriculum?

I would say that my granddaughter's school is over subscribed, has some of the best results in the county, is a coaching school and has been presumably evaluated the efficacy of their system.

17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Evaluating the efficacy - when you've spent that much money and thrown so much energy at it, you're damn well going to find it efficacious.

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'll let you know how the eldest grand fox cub finds it!

19. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

in every case

Couldn't resist sorry, as you were.

ilovesooty likes this.