1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A 'good' foundation stage lesson?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kyliekool, May 10, 2010.

1. kyliekool

kyliekool New commenter

I had a Foundation Stage interview last week. One of my questions was 'what do you think makes a good Foundation Stage lesson?' I talked about giving the children opportunities to learn independently, having adults that support children's play, continuous provision so that children have a choice/ a say in what they want to do. I didn't get the job because they said that they wanted me to say what Ofsted would say was a good lesson! The head said I should type 'what makes a good foundation stage lesson' into the ofsted website to look it up. I've done this and nothing relevant seems to come up. Does anyone know anything about this? I've got another interview on friday and I want to have a read about it before then, but can't seem to find anything that seems relevant to Foundation Stage. Thanks everyone!

2. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

https://www.tes.co.uk/download.aspx?storycode=6038472&type=X&id=6042857
    I don't know if the above link will work, first time I have attempted to put one!
    It should lead you to a copy of Observations in Foundation Stage following OFSTED criteria. This shows what they are looking for in a Good or Outstanding lesson so it may help you.

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Sorry I don't think the link has worked so you may need to search for it on resources under the title Observation in Foundation Stage following OFSTED criteria.

I would love to know how to put a link from resources. I thought I had mastered it but hey ho.

4. kyliekool

kyliekool New commenter

Thanks, both of those links are really useful x

5. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

We had a visit from our link inspector who also does Ofsted inspections and i too asked a similar question in fact what makes a lesson outstanding. He said one that constantly challenges and stretches the children.I think thats fine in theory for some children but what about the ones who can't even understand the basics. I've been doing this job for so many years now and always try to meet the educational needs of the children in my care but nowadays we just have to jump thro' the hoops that they want us too Best of luck.

6. MuchToDo

MuchToDo New commenter

Hmmmm, sounds like an excuse to me. I think your answer was excellent and perhaps they are telling you that because they don't want to admit they just wanted someone else.
    There is no one answer as to what makes a good lesson, and Ofsted certainly don't look for a set list of things. It is about seeing learning take place, in whatever format that is.
    I would not change your answer as I think you are spot on.