1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A good book for Year 3/4 (short story)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon333, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am looking for a good book/short story to share with a mixed Year 3/4 class - one which could generate lots of discussion afterwards. Maybe something that the children could relate to - a pet/day out etc.
    Has anyone got any suggestions before I hit the library?

Thanks,
    L

2. Hi all,
    I am looking for a good book/short story to share with a mixed Year 3/4 class - one which could generate lots of discussion afterwards. Maybe something that the children could relate to - a pet/day out etc.
    Has anyone got any suggestions before I hit the library?

Thanks,
    L

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Dick King Smith has written short stories that could be used. He's always popular with that age group.

4. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at some of his stories :)

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

I think Anthony Browne books are fantastic; the stories and pictures both generate much discussion with this age group. Personal favourites are Zoo and Voices In The Park. Good links with citizenship/PSHE and art too.

7. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

Hi!
    It depends if you are looking for a class book to read and enjoy or a text for a teaching unit. One of the places I always go to when selecting a text is the Devon literacy team website where they have got a document called 'Texts that Teach' - it's really useful as it is about picking quality texts that allow you to teach litercay elements as well as having a good plot or issues to discuss. It also heps me select a qaulity text that avoids tenuous links! It can be accessed on this direct link http://www.devonldp.org/v.asp?level2id=391&level3=2288&rootid=17&level2=391&depth=3&folderid=2288
    I must admit, I do limit the amount of Dick King Smith I use myself but steer the children to reading it independently.
    interestingly, they also have a book list, that although is primarily for girls and readers in an effort to wean them off of 'pony stories', is a useful resource to widen children's own independent reading choices

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Depends if you just want to read and discuss informally or actually do a more in-depth study, but I would suggest:
    Cliffhanger by Jacqueline Wilson
    Angel of Nitshill Road by Anne Fine
    MacB by Neil Arksey
    Carrie[​IMG]

9. Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look at them all today and hopefully find something suitable!

Thanks again [​IMG],
    L.