1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Gift from Gove

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mychuck, May 14, 2012.

1. top prize in the summer fair raffle

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

He wasn't born until 1967.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No public money spent on this apparently

4. Born in 1967... Fair point.
    (My God is this bloke 5 years younger than me! ....).
    The point remains however he is harking back to a day and a style of education that has long since been superceded.

5. Middlemarch

Oh, indeed. In fact, like all secretaries of state have a tendency to do once they get their grubby paws on education, he's harking back to a day and style of state education that has never existed.
    Don't think for a minute I feel anything but total contempt for this wazzock.

6. I am not responsible for our bible but you could all send them back...... MARK: 'Return to Sender' ? Just a thought

7. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I'm older than Gove!! The shame. I did ITA at school and still I can't make head nor tale of the King James bible!!!

8. Would you admit to doing that with a Koran? Bet you wouldn't dare!

9. Yeh I must admit it`s a shocker to find out Gove is actually younger than me. I feel so much younger than he appears. I suppose years of practicing the dark arts sucks the life out of one. ("Go`lum, Go`lum")
    Re the Koran you are right we need to talk about this more.
    Submissive pandering to any religious or cultural faction is distasteful to many; however we do exist in a world of realpolitik (trade with China, despots at the Queens tea party etc)
    Re. this fear of criticising Islam: might I tentatively suggest this could because Christianity has had centuries of vocal disagreement and has been forced by satire and parody to not take its self too seriously. Whereas, as far as I can see, the religion of Islam has no sense of humour at all.
    (I would be genuinely overjoyed to be corrected on this, I would feel there was some hope for the future of the human race)

10. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

you all need to steady yourselves with the anniversary of the Book of Common Prayer which should be winging its way next year. Church school - we already celebrated KJB last year (the actual anniversary) with everu school in the diocese writing out and decorating passages to create our own church schools Bible. are about to launch into similar task with the BCP

11. I take the last comment about humour in Islam back. I discovered that apparently (after a quick web search) humour is permitted and there are some Muslim comedians out there, forgive my ignorance. However, It is probably not the Muslims with good senses of humour that I was suggesting that some people are concerned about.

12. Middlemarch

This single copy? I'd be interested in the lessons you'd plan around it. This single copy, I mean.
    If, however, you mean 'It could be added to an existing set' - well, there are existing sets, aren't there? What's the point in sending every school one copy?

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Ours has been sitting in the library gathering dust. Our library is well used, no one has touched this and I don't expect them to. I shan't be using it in assemblies. It's an expensive, wasteful vanity project.
    Gove claims he didn't know it would be inscribed with "presented by the secretary of state for education" etc.
    But then he claims he didn't know that 89% of academies are not following the school food trust guidelines.
    I don't think I believe him about either of the above.

14. like lots of other resourses, in many schools, bought without proper evaluation - also a waste of school funds (taxes) - Not suggesting that that happens at your school - just making a general point about wasted money. Think about all those IWBs used as glorified OHPs. In fact the whole ICT in schools industry.
    I'm no cheerleader for Gove - far from it. He's arranged for this to happen, we can't change that. Now that we have it, I just think there are uses for it.
    By the way we also received a Union flag from Mayor Boris.

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We're more likely to get a red flag from our local politicians.
    Btw we use our iwbs and visualises every day, and our radio equipment and tv cameras.

16. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There is universal relevance in an atlas or indeed any number of books that would have made a good well thought out gift for schools in this country. Religious doctrine however is a completely different matter, especially when it's in a language that is invariably inaccessible to most of the audience it was prescribed for in the form of a 'gift'. Perhaps the only positive thing that could come out of this is if all the schools who deem the gift useless pass them onto to schools who would love more copies to make use of so they will have enough for a class set....

17. Don't know what you're all on about. Seems there are lots of uses for this thing in school. Feel free to add :
    1. A step for Y1 to reach the whiteboard (pinched from an earlier post)
    2. A hiding place for a small chisel with which to escape; like Andy Dufray did in 'Shawshank'
    3. A handy and safer alternative to the shot putt event in your forthcoming sports day
    4. Hang it from the ceiling by the spine with string attached to one cover. On a hot day, this could be pulled all day by a 'problem' pupil to create a welcome, power free ventilated classroom.
    5. Use as a special treat for G&T pupils to extend their learning by highlighting all the anachronisms (thou, shalt, wilst) in yellow and contradictions in pink
    6. Place the bible next to a similar sized copy of the Koran and discuss with pupils in science which is likely to burn for longer. Follow this up with a discussion about which is more likely to result in a fatwa.
    7. Open it and balance on your head during those rainy breaktime duties. It will be doubly beneficial in helping you adopt a more authoritarian posture.
    8. Cut out inspiring quotations from it and display in school. These could include 'If a man lies with a man...they must be put to death', 'Whoever does any work on the sabbath must be put to death' 'If anyone curses their mother and father they must be put to death' etc. etc. Should this result in any mortality. Use the bible in your defence, citing the complicity of Michael Gove.
    9. Super-glue the bible to the pavement outside your school. Hide and snigger as members of the public try to lift it. Brightens up your day no end.
    10. Collect unwanted bibles and, using them as building blocks, create that extension you've always wanted. Make sure the gold leaf is outside to make your new room look very posh.