1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Gift from Gove

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mychuck, May 14, 2012.

1. Should we all return to sender with no postage ?

2. Genius idea.
    Still not got mine. Worried he may be ignoring me.....

3. causabon99

causabon99 New commenter

4. causabon99

causabon99 New commenter

A Limerick ----

The Bible that Mr. Gove sends,/
    Reminds us he's one of our friends, /
    Relaxing our tensions /
    Protecting our pensions /
    Ever willing to make us amends.

5. Mine's just arrived- very excited. But no promised forward by Gove - although he does take co-author credits on the spine. I feel that Medieval 1611 English is particularly accessible to 4-11 year olds and will 'inspire us to do better' as Mr Gove's kind accompanying letter implies. I will scrap my assembly plans for the next 3 years and simply read it to the school cover to cover - with my best fire and brimstone diction! I have ignored my Deputy who wants to put it on eBay.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ahem - pedantry alert.
    It's not a 'forward', it's a foreword.

7. I think you are all very ungrateful!
    It makes a wonderful step for the reception children to reach the interactive whiteboard!! [​IMG]

8. <font size="2">If I find the schools copy I am intend on returning it to Mr Gove personally expressing my disheartenment at the recent changes to the education system and disgust that at a time of financial hardship money can be sourced for such a project yet refurbishing schools projects get abolished due to lack of funding. Or more specifically I will launch it at high velocity at his head screaming abuse before running off in a cowardly manner.</font>

9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Thank you for pointing out the inadequacies of your colleagues' spelling.[​IMG]

10. Perhaps the best response would simply be to say, with gratitude, "Thank you very much."

11. This superb example of unremitting self confidence and Tory hubris, is on a literally cosmic scale. Top bloke he must have balls of steel. Hats off to him.
    It is sad to discover that latterly someone has presumably had a quiet word in the ear of our man Gove and this is the real reason that his much anticipated foreword has belatedly gone missing. Sham.
    Giving a personal stamp of authentication and approval to God is just what the almighty needs in these days of encroaching secularism...
    A name check from government HQ ... makes you proud to be British. Perhaps Gove should change his name to Jove. He has the right amount of self-belief
    p.s. anyone who has the foreword could you please transcribe it for our delectation please

12. We thought either: 101 uses of an unwanted large bible as a competition or that,as a county, we should all collectively send back the bible,Return to Sender,with a carefully worded (not) letter outIning how we feel about the 'gift.'

13. Save your copy for 50 years it will be worth a bomb on ebay: "The education minister who thought he was bigger than God"
    edition of the
    Bible.

At least King James was technically allowed to add a foreword being a
    monarch of a direct lineage to God.
    Although not being expert in
    this area it does appear that adding the odd foreword or ammending,
    redacting, censoring, editing doing a bit of pick and mix to the text of
    the Holy Bible, (usually depending on the prevailing tides of politics
    or religion) is not at all uncommon.
    So there is historical precedent

14. We thought either: 101 uses of an unwanted large bible as a competition or that,as a county, we should all collectively send back the bible,Return to Sender,with a carefully worded (not) letter outIning how we feel about the 'gift.'

15. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

16. Do you know, one of the reasons I despair of the teaching profession is precisely that the very people that I hope would have space in their hearts to celebrate the majestic, the beautiful, the sacred in life, might be able to rise above the pettiness of the every day and simply appreciate and celebrate a wonderful part this book played in your and your ancestors' incredible history.

I know that these forums are great for poking fun at all things, but here is a revolutionary idea, why not read it? Isn't that what we are telling our children books are for? Mocking and being cynical and nasty is just so cheaply base. Anyone can do it. Come on guys, can't we hope for rather more from those we look to inspire our kids?

This nation was delivered from the revolutionary terrors that gripped Europe in the 18th century by a man, John Wesley, who thought so much of this book that he devoted his life to trawling up and down the entire nation to read it out and preach it. Millions turned to love the God of love in the words of the book He spoke from. Millions who had never heard the sublimity of passages such as this:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

I know a lot of teachers and rather more children who desperately need to hear not only the poetry of such sublimity but also the longing of every human heart to connect to and be inspired by its source.

Some of our greatest national heroes' had their lives shaped by it.

The man who wrote this by the way, ended up in a Roman prison because He chose to give up a life where his highest achievement to date had been to hunt people down with hate for loving such thoughts. The Apostle Paul could have saved his own neck many times but because he didn't and continued to stand up for the Jesus he loved even at the expense of his liberty and life, we have the chance to read such things because he made that choice.

I think he would have been happier sitting in the African classrooms I know where they celebrate every day that they are able to simply be in a classroom and teach and learn with not much more than a blackboard and a bit of chalk to inspire them. They do a lot with very little. I don't celebrate the lack they have but I celebrate the hunger they display to be grateful and make the very most of what they do have. If we had more of this attitude, what amazing heights might we yet rise to as a profession and a nation through our kids?

Perhaps if you think your copy of the Bible you are all so quick to despise is something you need never read, perhaps you should ask these African orphans if they might like it? Something in me really does think that the one who trod the sands and byways of Palestine to tell the poor that God loved them might be rather happier if these schools had these words in their hands. But then I know He loves you and the children you teach just as passionately.

BTW I'm 57. I have never ever known a single Education Secretary in all that time who wasn't lambasted and ridiculed by the teaching profession. What a wonderful example we set to our kids.

17. Perhaps an equally valid way to inspire children would have been to send an atlas or an encyclopaedia? They would certainly be more at the heart of the type of curiosity I wish to foster in the children in my classroom (400th anniversary or not).
    As to the the deriding of Mr Gove - I was always taught that in order to inspire respect you must first give it.
    Teaching children to think for themselves, to question and to stand up for what they feel is right is certainly a great example to set any child.

18. Read most of ours in a one of my many frees. Couldn't follow the whole story (you won't be seeing a film of this any time soon) but without wishing to spoil it for anyone, it is quite sad at the end when he dies.

A colleague has just pointed out that he has read it all, and the bloke isn't really dead. Couldn't get back into it after that.

19. Bravo - DerbyMark! Every school should have a copy of the KJB as an example of English Literature apart from any other reason. All children should hear it read as part of their education, especially junior children.