1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Gift from Gove

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mychuck, May 14, 2012.

1. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Has everyone received their King James Bible? A beautiful bible but hardly accessible for primary school!!
    Thought his letter was touching!
    I know it was funded privately but unfortunately many will sit on the shelf for the next 400yrs without being looked at!!

2. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Has everyone received their King James Bible? A beautiful bible but hardly accessible for primary school!!
    Thought his letter was touching!
    I know it was funded privately but unfortunately many will sit on the shelf for the next 400yrs without being looked at!!

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

My schools' copy arrived this afternoon. I didn't see your thread so I started one on opinion. I'm trying to think of a use for it. Doorstop maybe?

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I'm told it is useful for hitting ganglions with. According to my knowledge, a ganglion is a mass of grey matter - please step forward Michael so that I can hit you hard with your 'gift'.[​IMG]

5. Paperweight - to hold down all the (reduced) mounds of DfE inspired paperwork.
    Missile - to throw at ofsted inspectors of DfE officials when they come to try and force you to become an academy.
    Gift - for best student in RE
    Haven't got mine yet, but we are a church school so could put it with all the others.

6. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

We are a church school also - did he ask you if you'd already got bibles for every pupil? No, he didn't ask me either. Nor did he ask me if I wanted a different gift.
    He just wanted a bible in my school with the inscription ' Presented by the Secretary of Education' in gold on the spine!!
    I think he'll find a courier presented me with mine.[​IMG]

7. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

Who was it funded by? Couldn't find any information online about who has funded it, but was amused by this article from Guardian in January in which DfE confirmed no slippage in timetable as it would definitiely be distributed to schools by Easter! Ah well, at least we've got it time for Whitsun.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/17/michael-gove-king-james-bible
    "Sources said David Cameron told Gove that while he supported the idea, the education secretary should avoid using taxpayers' money for it. But Gove has yet to find a private philanthropic sponsor for the enterprise, and some Whitehall sources said he has been told he cannot distribute the book until he does so, leaving thousands of copies in a warehouse abroad.
    The Department for Education denied aspects of the story, but said they did not know if the copies had yet been printed, or where the copies might currently be stored. They added the Bible was always intended to be distributed to schools at Easter, so there had been no slippage in the timetable due to the lack of a sponsor.
    Education department officials said the prime minister supported the plan and said they did not recognise accounts of a conversation in which Gove was told no taxpayers' money could be used. But Whitehall sources said Gove was told at the highest levels that it would be wrong to spend nearly £400,000 on the project at a time when the government was in negotiations with teaching unions over cuts to their pension entitlement.
    Education department officials insisted the bibles would be distributed before Easter even if no sponsor had been found. "

8. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I've just had a look at the link provided on the letter www.education.gov.uk/kingjamesbible
    and I came up with no name of a sponsor. It does not name the sponsors on the letter or indeed they do not have their names in gold on the spine unlike the Secretary for Education.

9. whiskyforme

whiskyforme New commenter

Jeremiah 25 vs 27
    "thus saith the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, drinke ye and bee drunken, and spue and fall, and rise no more"

Is this a covert message to all children? Staff?

I would give you a page number but Gove in his wisdom has sent a bible that is as easy to navigate as ....

10. How exciting! Ours hasn't arrived yet, but how lovely to have something to look forward to, especially this week! A little light reading when it's all getting a bit stressful.....
    (tongue firmly in cheek)

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The arrival of this gift has positively transformed the school. I took it outside with me onto the playground at the end of the day and I think most people thought I might whack them with it if they gave me grief. Cheers, mr Gove!

12. Ours still hasn't arrived.
    Maybe church schools won't get one?
    I was hoping to process it around the playground together with an icon of The Gove in order that parents and pupils may pay him all due reverence for his magnificent benevolence (or should that be malevolence?)

13. It's just arrived!
    Joy is unconfined!!
    Procession idea down the tubes due to rain.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

That's a shame.
    I must say my working day has been transformed by having the gift on my desk. Why did no one think of this before?

15. Ours arrived this afternoon.
    It is rather lovely, BUT not at all child proof (primary). I suppose we will have to put it SOMEWHERE SAFE out of the reach of inquisitive, grubby little fingers which may spoil it.
    Shame really.

16. Not had ours yet - very much looking forward to it; particularly Mr Gove's introduction. "The meek shall inherit the Earth" etc and what's more meek than writing a personal forward in the good book. God, after all, needs someone of stature to introduce him, otherwise he'd lack gravitas.

17. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Completely ridiculous... Cuts to our pensions and he spends 400k on a bible which no one will piggin use. Is he also going to provide other holy books? This has made me really cross... Complete waste of money!!!

18. delight of delights..............standards will rise, behaviour will improve..............I have a gold edged
    bible complete with special cover.

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

And a letter from Michael, don't forget that!

20. not got mine yet but this whole thread has lightened my mood. Just what I needed thank you