1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A genuine question about sham marriages.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by huevosrancheros, May 14, 2011.

1. Scenario: an American male who has been working in this country for 20 years ( no previous family or links with UK), ( don't know how he managed that either), suddenly decides to wed a British woman. They meet on an internet dating site.
    She is twenty years his junior, and aged 45, so no prospect of children or wanting them ( I know this before you say it is possible) .
    I am aware that immigration and working permit rules under much scrutiny presently and being tightened up, especially over the last few months.
    He is retirement age, and physically limited ( legs). So I guess after 20 years in UK he may want to settle here, and he owns a house in Northampton.
    She has recently been divorced, and whilst she has known the American for 2 years, he only proposed recently and they did a flit to the US two weeks ago to tie the knot over there after dismissing the idea of a UK marriage. The American hasn't been to his hometown in over 20 years - surprising now?
    She is a bit dodgey - and not incapable of a few moves to get benefit or loans that she cannot justify.
    But the main thing is that post marriage they will not live together, and she stated to me that they were flying back from States the day of the marriage, and she was off to do a sport tournament the next day.
    The link with teaching is that he works in a private school, and apart from boarding in, goes to his Midlands home when he isnt.
    Is this a marriage or a sham?

2. oooo maybe I know him ... do you live here too?

No idea ... your description of it makes it sound a bit dodgy but it is possible (just) that you
    might have pre-decided and that your language gives you away

3. No I dont live in Northampton. But I am asking the question because I am not sure, but erring on the side of is a sham marriage. I cant disclose all I know for personal reasons, as it is a close one.

4. Is it any of your business? Disapprove all you wish of a marriage that is not contracted by two deeply-in-love, socially responsible, able-bodied people of opposite sexes, but if these two have not broken any laws, jusy exploited existing ones for their own benefit, then they have done no wrong and you can like it or lump it.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Does he have them? I just want to get as full a picture as possible.

6. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is? After 20 years this man wouldn't need to be married to stay in the country. I came over 10 years from South Africa with no links to the UK whatsoever. I don't need to be married to stay here. My parents came over 4 years ago to be with me and they are retirement age (although both still working). They will apply for citizenship as soon as they are eligible in a years time. I don't want to apply for citizenship as I'm happy being South African. Obviously it's not a good idea to marry someone on a whim but it has been going on fir centuries. Even if this man were illegally in the country he could apply for citizenship after 9 years. Have I missed the point possibly?

7. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

As Kirsten writes, there is no issue at all or reason why he or she need do this for residency reasons. He can get a UK passport easily, just by applying on the back of the years he has been here. Maybe he (and she) are just tired of being alone and want to be together? If it is more a case of you think she is out for his money, I am sure he would know that f the case - he is not a kid and will make choices.

8. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Is it because they're not living together? Cos not living together would hardly make it a sham marriage. And if it was a sham marriage - why make all the effort to go to the States to get wed?