1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A garden related thread (well, decking mostly)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Apr 17, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

We have a postage stamp of a garden and, in true new build style, the grass has never really taken so we have bald patches everywhere ... despite our best efforts, of course!
    So we are now looking at alternative surfaces for our garden and are strongly considering a good quality decking.
    We're not natural gardeners but we feel that this would be a practical and attractive option for us, plus easy to decorate with potted flowers and plants. It would hopefully also provide a good, (and low mess!) play surface for our children.
    I was wondering if anyone here has a decked garden and whether or not you'd recommend this as the way to go. According to my mother, decking can attract vermin but I don't know how true this is?!
    I'm certainly not ruling out other options (eg. tiles) at this stage, so please do feel free to recommend other possibilities.
    Thank you very much [​IMG]

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

We have a postage stamp of a garden and, in true new build style, the grass has never really taken so we have bald patches everywhere ... despite our best efforts, of course!
    So we are now looking at alternative surfaces for our garden and are strongly considering a good quality decking.
    We're not natural gardeners but we feel that this would be a practical and attractive option for us, plus easy to decorate with potted flowers and plants. It would hopefully also provide a good, (and low mess!) play surface for our children.
    I was wondering if anyone here has a decked garden and whether or not you'd recommend this as the way to go. According to my mother, decking can attract vermin but I don't know how true this is?!
    I'm certainly not ruling out other options (eg. tiles) at this stage, so please do feel free to recommend other possibilities.
    Thank you very much [​IMG]

3. We have a postage stamp garden too. It faces north and when we bought the house about half the garden was covered in decking. It was lethal when wet and I had a couple of headlong falls. I would not recommend it with children. We removed it after only a couple of months and it had only been installed for at the maximum two years by previous owner.
    Under the decking a a stone chip surface, that I don't like much either. I am thinking of having most of the plot as a patio with pots. Kind of a courtyard effect.

4. Don't put down decking - otter is right, it is lethal when wet and then has the nasty habit of turning green and/or mouldy.
    I have a tiny garden too and put down gravel and planted everything in pots- it is a lovely courtyard garden. If you felt gravel wasn't suitable for your children you could of course pave it.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We have a decked area with steps up and down so it needs to be safe. Yes, it can be very slippery but it's the green algae that grows on it and gets wet that makes it slippery, not the water itself.
    We clean it once of twice a year with a jet washer and it's no problem, but if your garden is really small I'd not deck all of it. Maybe pave or gravel it with a raised area of decking for a table and chairs?

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

We got rid of a large area of decking outside our back door. It was lethal in the winter - bit like a skating rink. And yes, the number of mice the cats have caught and brought in has dropped drastically since it went.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

gravel can attract cats
    vermin like living under decking
    wet deck oops

how about york stone?

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Cats don't like gravel. They will walk around it rather than across it.

9. Decking does get slippery and does attract vermin.
    I had my back paved ( I've heard it all so don't go there) Solid base, looks great in summer with pots and garden furniture bbq etc. Cleans up for winter and I have those abc jigsaw mats, About £8 from most supermarkets. They make a great safe surface for my grandson.
    If like me you move furniture around frequently ,this gives you the same opportunities with your outside space.
    It,s rarely the same two seasons running.

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks very much for your replies everyone. I really appreciate the food for thought. I think we're definitely going down the patio/tiling/paving route.
    Ooh, while I'm at it, the neighbourhood cats have taken a liking to our garden [​IMG] Not ideal when we have a wee playhouse and slide etc. out there. Are they more likely to go elsewhere when a hard surface has been put down?
    Thanks again.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They are unlikely to leave you any presents if your surface is non scratch. It is possible they might visit for a bit of harmless lolling around somewhere warm and sunny, which is of course quite decorative.

12. What about laying down some astroturf?

13. The older I get the less I like having lawns front and back! They seem to be more high maintenance year after year and the lawn mower seems heavier - or is it just me, getting older? If I could afford it, I'd have lots of hard landscaping done and have beautiful slab paths (or ones made from blue engineering bricks) meandering through my garden. I'd have perennial borders and shrubs libing the paths, for year-round interest.
    TT - it is nice to try and give some shape to your garden even if it is just a basic square/rectangle. Can you add height...or create a pathway or shape? An area away from the house for sitting and eating (if it gets the sun) is always nice..but so is a shady patch too for those scorching days. Pots are lovely but in their own way they can be a lot of work. (Watering, feeding, potting on when roots need more room etc.) I tend to have pots of stuff in summer..mainly annuals..(and sometimes have to water them twice a day and get someone in to do it if I go away to ensure they don't dry out and die.) Even though I moan about maintenance it is nice to have trees and shrubs providing year round greenery when I look out. I'd definitely get something clingy or straight-growing to cling to fences or walls. My daughter and her man inherited a beautifully (and expensively I'd say) landscaped gravelled and decked garden, with small patios dotted about it, but now she is asking all the gardeners she knows about permanent greenery she can grow. It's lovely in it's very stark way (the previous owner was a bit of an OCD clean-freek and minimalist she discovered from other neighbours) but it isn't particularly inviting.